Cleaning Up Brake Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George T

Reaction score
Good part about this post: It did not happen to my ST

Bad part: I still have to clean it up. So I have a 2007 Scion tC, with cloth seats. I went camping over the weekend and accidentally left a can of brake fluid on the passenger seat. And of course it had to be almost 100 degrees, and with my luck the brake fluid leaked all over the seat.:banghead:

Any ideas how to get the stain out? I know it might not completely come out, but I was wondering if there is a way to get out some of it?

Will CocaCola work (read it on another site)? Soap? Special cleaners?

Or is all hope lost?:sad:

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated,

Thank you so much

It is a lost cause, a very powerful organic based solvent. You could air it out, and you will reduce the smell overtime, but the color in your seats is "gone" and you wont be able to bring it back.

Depending on how much leaked, you might be able to just deal with it, but if it was alot, I would replace the seat, nothing good about breathing organic solvents

as for soaking it up, I would use a paper towel until that doesnt do anything, then wet a cloth with rubbing alcohol, and dab away, the rubbing alcohol that wicks into your cloth seats will evaporate very quickly during a nice hot "open window" type day, just use alot of paper towel and keep dabbing

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll assume the spill is small enough that you don't have a big puddle somewhere. I'd spray the spot with brake cleaner. After testing the brake cleaner on a hidden part of the upholstery first, to see if it makes a stain that's any worse than the one you've already got. Otherwise, some kind of soap like Dawn.

Then I'd try to clean with something that has suction. A spray bottle full of nearly boiling water and a shop vac would do a pretty decent imitation of a steam cleaner for upholstery.

I haven't tried it, of course, but if I had to, that's what I'd do, as a last resort before re-upholstering the seat.

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I will have to try them and see how it works out.

Thanks again,

Greatly appreciate the help

George T.

Latest posts