Clicking noise/rpm's drop problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey Everhart

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Sport 2wd, with the Premium Sport Group. I just bought it about 2 months ago. The truck seems to have been kept in immaculate condition. Checked everything over before buying it. The only problem i've had with this truck, and I love it is this. Sometimes when I turn on the air, whether a/c or heat, there will be a clicking noise every few seconds and the RPM's will drop from approx 1k to 500 and then right back up. Any idea what could be causing this? Any help would be appreciated

It's the compressor. Mine does it. (the RPM drop) It cycles in cirtain settings, (I think two settings it is off) and it does this to keep the air dry.;)

Quick typing John beet me to it.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear god, you had to bring up that PITA situation. Try the following, not necessairily in any particular order.

Check for a disconnected vaccum hose under the passenger dash. (you'll hear hissing if this is it)

Clean your IAC Valve.

Make sure your AC is properly filled with refrigerant.

Do the RPM adjust project.

Replace IAC valve.

Possibly replace belt tensioner. (this solved a lot of different wierd issues I had.)

Oh, and buy a scangauge, it'll tell you exactly where the RPM's are so you can troubleshoot.

Welcome to the site, bon voyage to your money :lol: Mods away.

Let me answer all your questions on this post: the shocks, tires, sway bar, xcal2, clean the IAC, someone has a nice pic of a cracked vaccum hose. Now do yourself a favor and figure out if your 2001 is a job 1 or job 2 (check the door sticker for the prod date) pre 7/00 = J1 after = J2.

Don't worry, it's a great truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the idle speed adjustment in projects...that will cure it!

I have a job 2. Production date is 09/2000

I'll look up the Adjustment project. I was just hoping it wasnt something that was harmful. It's just annoying at this point. But I live in Southern California. A/C not needed, windows down is enough for the next few months.