Cloth or Leather Interior Better?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Szoka

Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing a new ST this summer. I have a 4yr old Chocolate Lab and was wondering what would be more durable interior selection. I prefer leather. I have leather in my current vehicle, but he has not been in the seating area much, just the way back. Once the power-down rear window becomes available, I'm sure that back seat will be his favorite spot. :lol:Opinions welcomed...

Just a FYI. I may catch flack for this...

Ford Leather is not high quality. I have leather in my 04, and it shows wear. I am not rough on it, nor is my rear big. :D However, it's worth mentioning.

So - if you get leather, do as jl said and get a cover for the back seat.

I prefer cloth. I tried leather on a couple of cars, didn't like it as much. I think in most cases leather looks nicer though. It's hot and sticky in the summer, cold in the winter compared to cloth. Heated leather is nice once it warms up though. Some cloth seems more durable than leather, at least it resists snags from sharp objects. Had a broken pocket button snag the leather on a nice G35 SC interior...bummer. Left a nasty mark. The cloth in the '02 ST has proven to be very durable and resistant to stains. The leather interiors I've had were light tan and didn't maintain their look very well. The darker leather may be much better. Having said that, the tan cloth on the '07 ST looks like it would not hold up very well to me. Just an initial observation. As for the dog, nails and leather don't go together. jlevins comment about the seat cover is right on if you go with leather, not bad advice for cloth also. I want to see the dark cloth on the '07, if it's not as durable appearing as the '02 ST, I'll probably go with the dark gray leather. :rolleyes:

The leather in the Trac is not the best but it's comfortable enough. It does look great and cleans very easy.

Go with leather. It repels smell/odor better than cloth. I have had my german shorthair in the back many times and I just put the rear seats down. The back of the seat is cloth/carpet material anyway and its easier for the dog to lay down on. Just be careful, when they get used the rear window being down they might jump for it. Good luck, Marsha

I prefer cloth myself. If my seats get stained, I just clean them with Resolve spot cleaner (I have the old first gen cloth seats), and it makes the truck smell good. I'm just not a fan of leather.

thats why i have suede in the middle of my leather seats, stays cool so u wont scorch ur butt in the summer and is no where near freezin in the winter like having all leather seats.

just have an insert in the middle of the leather seat.

Leather. I have 2 dogs that ride in the back & the passenger seat. The only seating surface that's needed to be replaced after 86k miles is the driver's side bottom cushion from me entering & exiting the truck. I have the front seat covered with a T shirt and a towel, and have a carpeted carry-all mat from the Expedition cut down to fit the back, and this has kept the folded down back seats looking like new! Granted, the Expy is no longer made, and finding the mats has become a bit of a chore. A little 'shopping' of dealers may be nessacery to find one still in stock.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Leather....MUCH easier to clean....

Ask those people who have cloth and had spills of many kinds on their rear seats....

get leather, I haul the dogs when we duck hunt, and carry my buddies around in wet, muddy waders with the leather seats and have not had a problem yet cleaning them.

Ford Leather is not high quality.

this is actually a good thing. Higher quality leathers are easier to stain, tear and scratch. although higher quality leather will last longer in the end - how long do people reallyy have cars for?

plus leather on resale is a plus!

If your biggest concern is your pet then leather is the answer. MUCH easier to clean and maintain. The hair will not inter twine into the leather like it will with cloth.

In the winter time the seats are cold and nothing you can do about the rear as there is no rear heat option. You can add it, others have. Cloth seats are naturally warmer to sit on in the winter compared to the leather.

I have owned two Tracs, both with leather (heated). Between them I have 150,000 miles. Never had a problem with the leather in my Tracs. Others have. My guess is it was a bad lot of leather that was installed...

I've found the leather to be much easier to clean. Especially after I've had a weekend of mountain biking. The dried mud comes off really easily.

I love my leather too and the heated seats are the BOMB in the winter. But in the summer I change my mind on this because they get hot and I sweat something fierce on my back from them. Without them being ventilated they are not preferable if your truck will be sitting outside befoe you get in it.:cool:

I have an 05 adrenalin with leather and it is showing signs of wear and scratches and flakes where my seatbelt hits the seat when i am not thinking about it. I previously had an 02 xlt with cloth and it was durable but the leather feels and looks better. Just my opinion.

after 4000 miles with my dog always in the backseat my leather seats are beginning to show wear (cloth last a little longer with a dog but leather is easier to get all the dogs hair out;))

now I have a seat cover

(can't put the seat down(sub))

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts