Clunk after sudden deceleration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Just curious...

Sometimes after suddenly letting off the gas after hard acceleration I hear a clunk under the Trac. Is this normal?

I know it's not normal for the gears to clunk during shifting, but I don't know if it's the tranny or something else causing the noise. It only happens rarely under these circumstances and my tranny seems to be working very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure if it is normal or not. I would say no. I would also look into the rear diffrential haveing something wrong with it.

I have a 2WD btw, and I had the rear diff serviced not that long ago. It was leaking and the dealer replaced a gasket and topped it off.

I just think if you got on it, then let off, the computer would still be compensating for the engine rpms and shift up, while the rpms are dropping. I know that on a cold morning if I floor it then let off, it will make the sound you are describing. Has happened ever since I started driving the ST and nothing has happened yet. Frankly I'm not worried.

It could be improper backlash setting in the ring and pinion gears or clutches releasing, if you have limited slip. Maybe a u-joint or motor or trans. mount..I would have to be there, to pinpoint it...:unsure:

Edit; I see you do have L.S,,did the dealership remember the frictionmodifier for the rear end ??

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look on the front of the Trac, near the grille, you'll notice that there is a blue oval that has "Ford" on it. Well, that could be the problem, but sometimes there are bow tie, "nissan," and ram parts that could cause this problem, but in this case, it's probably that blue oval thing.

:D

I have this on mine, never bothered to get it checked, also stopped letting off on the accelerator.

Get the driveshaft replaced with Ford's aluminum unit. There is a TSB about it. I had to have that done on both the Rangers I had before.

The driveshaft replacement TSB for the ST is for the VIBE issue.

I had both clunks, The dealer greased the slip yolk, and then adjusted the back lash on the ring and pinion... No noise for 10K miles now...

Todd Z

I have the same problem clunk letting off gas or hitting gas after coasting...

Todd, How much did it cost or would it cost to have the slip yok regreased and the back lash adjusted by the dealer??

Thanks

Andy

Andy, The backlash is something i fought for weeks for them to do... They kept checking it and said it was at the end of the specs, BUT still in spec....

I don't know if you can just ask the dealer to do this.... Wouldn't hurt...

As far as cost... they get if i remember correctly 1.2 hours to R&R the drive shaft, plus grease, then the rear is close to $200.00 bucks just for the oil and additive, then the labor to set the back lash, or tighten it up... AND if the bearings or shim size does not allow a proper adjustment, you may be too tight or get no adjustment at all...... You could be looking at a $500.00 bill....

May want to call the dealer first, IF not, find a mustang shop, or racing speed shop that does rearend work and ask them...

Todd Z

o man...i thought it was like some $50 thing just to get it on a lift and lube grease fittings or somethin like that...nevermind that lol...i'll live with the clunk, and i got a price for a new ring and pinion $380 plus labor...if it gets worse the service manager said to have them take the driveline apart and then replace that for like $550...

andy

If you look on the front of the Trac, near the grille, you'll notice that there is a blue oval that has "Ford" on it. Well, that could be the problem, but sometimes there are bow tie, "nissan," and ram parts that could cause this problem, but in this case, it's probably that blue oval thing.

I sense a disturbance in the force...

---

I'll chalk this one up as one of minor things that I'll have looked at before 36K/3yr is up. Actually, the only other issue I have is the dimples on my tailgate which, apparently, I need to take to the original dealership.

Yes, my Trac is at the dealer again for the stalling. 4 TIMES!!! I haven't had my radio for 6 weeks because it's "on back order" and everytime they say they fixed my engine, it happens again... stalls.

So yes, I hate my Ford

:D

Improper gear lash from the factory would be noticable from the first time you drive it. If the lash is too tight it will whine/howl. If it's too loose, it may also whine or howl, but it will also clunk. Since you have had your Sport Trac over a year, it's not likely that it's the gear lash.

It sounds like the begining of a U-Joint failure. You can check for looseness in the drive shaft and look at the front and rear U-Joint for movement. If you have 4X4, you will need to check the front drive shaft as well. Also check your front axle CV Joints. They can also make noise but usually it's a clicking sound when going around corners.

...Rich