Clunk from rear end...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Coleman

Reaction score
Hey fellas...

Got an issue with my 01 truck. If you grab the truck bed and rock it pretty hard side to side, there is a solid "clunk" sound on each pass. It sounds like it's in the rear end somewhere, like a muffled metal on metal sound.

Any ideas?!?!?

Good grief, I was gonna trade this thing in but now I am finding all kinds of problems :eek:(

This is the play in the axle C clips...

IT is normal....

You can jack up the truck and push the rear tires in and out a little too...

IF your concerned, I would remove the rear diff cover, and replace the C Clips and fluid..

Todd Z

ok well he said he will do it for $120 if i come pick it up, im gona ask the shop thats putting my shocks on how much they'd charge to install it...i dont really have too much money to spend because i still have to get a whole new front bumper..

Well, this is the issue. Sometimes when I take a corner really tight, especially if it's an off-camber turn, you hear and feel a clunk in the rear-end. It sounds and feels just like the sound you get when you rock the truck back and forth. I kept thinking it was the bed, or something loose but the sway bar ends are good and the links are also...

Could excess play in the c-clamps cause this kind of noise?!? I have the upgraded EE sway bar BTW....

Any thoughts?!?

Check and make sure that bar is not hitting the rear end, or brake lines...

As for the clunk, It could be a body mount... the 2001 ST had issues with the body mount bushings rotting out... Check them all....

Also look in the back of the truck, behind the seats and under them for something rolling around..

IF not.... It is not expensive to change the rear C clips... They are not expensive... You honestly could do it your self....

Todd Z