Clunking noise while turning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Mas

Reaction score
First time poster, long time reader...over the last couple of weeks i have noticed a clunking noise while turning in when i am going to park...usually it is noticeable at slow speeds right before you turn into a parking spot and stop....it happens on both left and right turns...any ideas...i have a ford extended service plan that only seems to be useful when my horn loses it low pitch or my mirror switch doesnt work. any posts with advice is appreciated...

and to add after three years of having HID lights in the trac some asshole stole them...back to regular bulbs :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the steering wheel turn all the way to the stops?

If so, there is a TSB for this issue. Basically the stops are dry and need to be greased. Get a heavy grease like bearing grease and lube the stops on the spindle and the control arm.

Noise will be gone...

I'll double check to make sure...Where can i get the info for the tsb and how would this be done...i am not the most mechanically inclined person but i can get help from a friend if you could lead me in the right direction...thanks again for your help

danny

it makes the noise regardless if i turn when i almost stop....it seems like if it the noise slows down as the rotations of the wheels stop...i might be some type of bearing or something...any ideas