Coded Door

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Rice

Reaction score
Bought my sport trac about 6 months ago but dealer did not have the code for the keypad on the drivers door. I would like to utilize this feature but don't want to pay a ton to get it coded so I can use this feature. Anyone got suggestions?

will this work on a mfg.july 2002St ore do i look in the rear? if the rear where in the back....i have been looking for this since new?????:blink::blink:;)

I used the info from that thread to find my code. Only takes a couple of minutes. Mine is an '02 (don't know build date off the top of my head). I think the early '01s are the only ones with the computer behind the seat.

Marc I want to say your ST is a Job 2 based on the build date and should be behind the passanger airbag. The Job 1 ST's are the only ones that have it behind the rear panel behind the rear seats. A mirror and a flash light may assist in looking into the rear panel area.

Tocho: nope, the master combo is hard-coded into the chip. You'd have to replace the computer to get a new code.

Tocho: what you do is never give anyone the master code, you simply setup your own personal code. Then you can change that personal code anytime you feel security is compromised.

It's in the owner's manual, but if you don't have one I could write out the directions. I don't recall the exact procedure, but it's very easy.

PRM: Please do, I just got a used 2004 XLT from a ford dealer, I don't have the manual and so far this site is what is helping me to know my ST.

So far Ive learned here how to program and extra key which I ordered on EBay. I also know where to find the KEYpad code and hopefully you will teach me how to create a personal code.

Thanks in advance

Tocho:D

That's what this website needs is PDF files for each year's owner's manual. I think everyone would find that useful. I know Ford has that info somewhere on their website, just haven't found it yet.

Dumb question but, is the airbag attached to the large plastic cover in the dash? In other words, when you undo the first two screws does the cover lift out with the airbag?

Thanks to PRM who answered me elsewhere. In case anyone else reads this.......yes, the airbag is attached to the large panel in the dash and lifts out as one unit quite easily once the first two screws are removed. Suprisingly the whole thing has a bit of weight to it. I manged to get the code tonight after about 10 minutes. Saved $40 from what the dealer wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tocho, here's what my manual sez: (note: mine is a 2002, don't know if it makes any difference, doubt it though)

<b>Programming personal code</b>

1) Enter the factory set code

2) Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1

3) Enter you personal five digit code. Enter each digit within five seconds of the previous.

<b>Erasing the personal code</b>

1) Enter the factory code

2) Press and hold 1/2 for two seconds (do it within five seconds of step 1)

Now, only factory code will work.

<b>Other tidbits:</b>

Unlocking doors:

1) Enter code (factory or personal). This unlocks driver's door.

2) Press 3/4 with five seconds of step 1 to unlock all doors.

Locking doors:

1) Press 7/8 and 9/0 at the same time

You can also use the code to deactivate the autolock feature (I personally do not like the car locking the doors for me)

1) Enter 5 digit code

2) Press and hold 7/8

3) Press and release 3/4 (while holding 7/8)

4) Release 7/8

Horn will chirp once if autolock was deactivated or twice (one short and one long chirp) if autolock was activated.

Cheers