?? cold air intake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best bang for your buck will be to get a SCT III tuner. Zabteck no longer sells the only "true Cold air induction kit" for the ST but if you contact Todd Z he can give you the info on the parts and stuff he used to build it. Also the factory intake system in a CAI, just drop in a K&N flat filter into the box and you have a better intake on the cheap.

I had a heat shieleded K&N conical. I was still getting too much intake heat. I went back to the stock box, with a K&N flat panel. I blocked the front inlet. pulling all intake air from the fender area.

I Bored a 4" hole in box on the fender side. Then sawed a hole in the inner fender. Used 2'' thick foam rubber block, the size of the lower stock box. Cut a 4" hole in the foam. Used that for a seal between the box and fender. That trick droped my summer intake temps 30 degree's @ idle. Temps are almost ambient @ constant driving, 35 mph and up.

You have to block the front stock inlet. I first used foam rubber to seal the front inlet. The fan pushes the hot air into it that area. It was still getting hot air. Stock box and fender inlet is perfect.

I also cut pieces of the insulated foil wraped windshield cover. Wraped the box and inlet tube. Got that @ a dollar store.

I should have made a project for this. I didnt 'cause I didnt know if it would work. My scan gauge, was the proof. If I ever take it apart I will take the pics. Then turn in a project.

As jerry said, get a tunner. Mine is tuned by Torrie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never played with a tuner, but the only performance improvement I actually noticed was when my OEM muffler rusted out and I replaced it with the Gibson cat back. Now I have the flat K&N also, and it might be a contributor, but when the new exhaust went in I could feel in the seat of my pants.

If you aren't already running synthetic drivetrain lubes, that will make a difference too, as well as help with longevity. See my website for online lookup, and PM or call if you'd like some recommendations.

Like Dean I run a K&N replacement filter and a Gibson cat-back. Gibson says you get 8 hp and for sure I get better mpg on the highway. That and a tuner and since you have a Gen 1 the Random Tech Y-pipe is about the best you can do. There is nothing that will make a huge difference.

What I have...

Zabteck: Modded Throttle Body

C & L: Mass Air Flow Meter

Random Technology: Stainless Steel CAT

Random Technology: Stainless Steel Y-PIPE

Underdog: 8mm Silicone Plug Wire Set

Underdog Screamin' Demon: Coil Pack

MAC: cold air intake, modded to fit K&N air filter

Auto-lite: 6x-Double Platinum spark plugs

Magna-Flow: Stainless Steel Exhaust

Royal Purple: Full Syn Oil 5w30

SCT: XCAL3 tuner