Comcast Digital Voice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Carlson

Reaction score
Comcast Communications just started advertising their VoIP telephone system, called Comcast Digital Voice, in our area (Charleston, SC), but their website doesn't have pricing information yet.

Is anybody here using Comcast's phone service in their area? How much does it run (with the bundle, I already have cable TV and Internet access with them)? Any other info you'd like to share?

Right now in Fort Wayne, IN I have a bundle of all three and my bill is around 120.00 they advertised 3 for 33 each. Personally i think the phone service is lousy there is static all the time it seems. But i do have free long distance caller id voicemail and i think there is web access for v mail I have not used it though.

Thanks, Ryan.

Seems weird that there'd be static on a digital connection.

Anyway, what's in your cable TV package? Right now, I have one of their digital packages with two premium channels (plus multiplexes), and a DVR, but I'm thinking of canceling the premium channels and going with NetFlix.

There are several other VoIP options out there for the same cost or less with better quality over Comcast's service. I use Vonage, all you can eat with every phone option imagineable for $25/month, and that includes calling the UK and other countries as a local call.

Been very pleased with SunRocket for $199/24 mos.. Only problem is fax capability which is fairly common as I understand with most VoIP providers.

Ryan--you might have them come out and check your modem where it goes from digital to analog to run on the copper lines in your house. You may have a loose connection in there...

Good point about the fax capability, Teasip. We send faxes on an irregular basis, so I looked it up. According to their FAQ, Comcast claims that their service will transmit faxes (but is not an eFax service).

I have all three products and haven't had any issues. I've had all three for close to a year now and have never lost a call but have had echoing only 3 times. For me, all three have worked well and no complaints.

RyanFTW - the 3 for 33 pricing was if you did not have any of the products. Depending on what you already had, the additional products should have been 33 for the one product added.

Marc

Ryan, the most probable cause of static in your service is your homes copper wiring or the VOIP router itself. Everything up to the VOIP router is digital, and cannot create static.

If it's not on your analog side of the system, then it has to be on the other end and it's analog side, and that's run by Comcast or some VOIP third-party headend. It might be there, but it is unlikey lest everyone would be complaining and it would get fixed.

Now, if we are to assume the problem is on your end, the first question you will have is "why wasn't I having a problem before?", and that's a good question. It could be that the signal that the VOIP equipment puts out is not quite to spec (it has static, it is low in amplitude, etc).

I would start first with Comcast and see if they won't change-out your router.

TJR

I've been using the Voip stuff from Earthlink for about 6 months, running it through Comcast's cable modem, my router. Never had any problems, and all the bells and wistles for $27/month. I really like getting my voicemails in my e-mail, if my aswering machine misses them. I think the VoiP thing will really catch on in the coming months. I get offers from Ma Bell begging me to come back about twice a week!!?

When I had Vonage the service was great. Then I moved and couldn't get Broadband service until last November with Clear-Wire. How secure is the line with VOIP? I hate to have a customer call and someone hear their CC information at the same time they are giving it out. The new location I went with a land line as the Broadband and phone together was a package deal.