Comparison between Trac and Ridgeline.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Schindler

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
Reaction score
The Cleveland Plain Dealer has a comparison between the Sport Trac and Ridgeline.

What really gets me is when Ford came out with the original Trac, it was compared to the Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, and Chevy. Now that Honda has a SUT, the only competition for the RL is the Trac. Why not compare it to the rest of them...even better yet, compare it to the 1/2 ton trucks since Honda thinks they have one in the RL.

Anyway, here is the link...

Tom

Seems to me they come out about even in the mind of the reviewer. Comes right down to personal preferrence in a few areas. I didn't read anything that would upset someone. He basically said they were both good and each had some unique features that might sway a buyer one way or the other. His final conclusion.....he'd get the Honda only because of it's reliability record which the 2007 Trac does not yet have.

I agree the looks of the '07 ST is less polarizing than the Honda. The Honda you either like the styling or you don't.

And as far as the '07 ST being a 'new' model, heck, it's mostly an Explorer anyway, and Ford has been building the current model of Explorer since '02. The Ridgeline is mostly a Pilot, which has been around almost as long.

I agree with him about the ST's gauges. That's one thing I'd change. More legible (sometimes the gas gauge is totally obscured in darkness). I'd also add oil and elect gauges.

But that's me.

I read that article. My Dad saved it for me. The whole thing sounded like the guy was crazy about the Trac...handled better, stopped quicker, etc...The Ridgeline has a unibody frame for crap's sake! But then at the end the guy says if push comes to shove he'd go with the Ridgeline because of the reputation...hello?! Honda's been making trucks for what...a week now?! Loser.:angry:

Bart.... who said the Ridgeline is a truck? It's a unibody design .... basically a Honda Pilot with a cargo area. The Pilot has been around for some time, as well as the Honda 3.5L V6 which has earned a good reputation as a reliable motor.

It's a REVOLUTIONARY unibody design, they welded a traditional ladder frame to the bottom.

I think they are comparing apples to oranges on this one. Yes, they look similiar on the

outside, but I think too many differences in the basic structure and function of each vehicle

should prohibit them from a "side-by-side" comparison.

I.E.; example;

The Trac is a full frame, seperate cab-from-box design, whereas the Ridgeline is

a "Hybrid", if you will, of a uni-body construction with a partial sub-frame, (if that makes

any sense to any of you old schoolers out there), with a non-seperated body from the bed.

Basic Body and Chassis construction should be enough to tell anyone who knows

anything, that these vehicles should be in two seperate classes!

When we bought the Trac, we looked at the Ridgeline... When it first came out, I loved the look... after I drove it and took a closer look, I liked it a little less, and started seeing benefits in the Trac over the RL...

Then again, I've been dreaming about being a Trac owner for 4 years now...

Latest posts