computer problem, keyboard

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
When I booted up my old w/98 computer today....the keyboaerd is whacked... worked ok last night. Some of the characters dont match the keys. If I type h, I get hg. If I type m, Iget mv, If I type y I get [y. If I back space I get n. Those are just a few examples. I get even get on the net, it types the wrong passwords.

Iam using my wifes XP/laptop right now.

I have checked the langauge settings. I have removed the keyboard in device manager and rebooted. I have reloaded the drivers. Done thourough scandisk and defrag. I have ran system file checker and replaced the corupt system files it found. I dont know what else to try. It was working fine last night. Every program I have used today on it works. It just types wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Sounds kinda more like a problem with the actual keyboard. Did you spill food or drink into it? I'd take the thing apart, carefully, and clean out all the dust, debris, and any sticky soda/coffee/tea residue that may've found it's way inside.

Never Spilled anything in it. Used a can of computer dust off and blew the dust out from the top side.

Any chance someone is playing a joke on you? Some versions of Windows have "Keyboard Mapper" that lets you assign keys.

Probably the keyboard though.

try swapping keyboards with your wife's PC. If your PC workes with her keyboard, and her PC does not work with your keyboard, you've got a bad keyboard. I've seen replacements for as cheap as about $10.

If your wife's keyboard does not work on your PC but your old keyboard works on your wife's PC, then it's you PC that's messed up. I know there were a few old viruses that would scarmble your keyboard. Then it could be just some bad chip on your mother board, and since it's an old Widows-98 PC, it's probably not worth fixing.

...Rich

Latest posts