Coolant Flush without radiator

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Stokes

Reaction score
Hi,

Just found a hole in my 2003 4X4 Tracs radiator; I'm going to pickup a new radiator tomorrow.

I already have the old radiator out of the truck, what's the best way to get the remaining coolant out of the system? I hate to put the new radiator in and flush all of my old stuff into it...

Thanks in advance for your help,

Scouts Out!

:haveabeer:

Just pulling off the bottom hose (which you have done already) gets most of it. Fill it with plain water, drive it around the block once or twice with the heater on, and pull the hose off again. Repeat until the water runs out pretty clear.

Per the Ford Workshop Manual At least 20% or 2.8 quarts (14 gallons total capacity) will remain in the block after a complete drain. Use 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 gallons of unmixed Motorcraft Gold or Zerex G-05 and top off with distilled water. That mix should be close to the preferred 50/50 ratio. Use a coolant tester such as the Prestone AF-1420 to check. Remember to premix for the overflow tank.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies; JohnnyO if I'm tracking what you're suggesting is installiing the new rad, and flushing it to get that last gallon of old stuff out of it that swshawaii is talking about?

Thanks again...

Latest posts