Coolant in expansion tank

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
I was just check my coolant in my expansion tank and it was brownish. I just bought some prestone 50/50 mix. Shoul I wait until the truck cools down and add some to the radiator or the expansion?

When was the last time you had it flushed? Ford used 2 types of antifreeze, depending on the year. I think yours was the green type... If it looks brown, it's time to get it flushed.

That being said, if there is fluid in the expansion tank, then just add more to it. If the tank is low or empty, wait until the truck has cooled down and then open the radiator cap and add until it's full, and then add to the tank up to the cold fill line.

Just adding some fresh antifreeze though, is not going to do much if it needs a good flush...

Take out your coolant and washer bottle, it is only a couple of screws, wash it out and replace with new coolant and washer fluid. Top off radiator if low and you are good to go.

Paul H

Paul H, your talking about just taking out the overflow tank for the coolant and the washer fluid tank, right? That's all I need to do is just take those off and wash out the coolant tank and add enought coolant to the line? Then top off the radiator? If so that seems easy

Joyce,

If the coolant in the rad is green and clean, then the shop that flushed it did not clean the over flow....

I see that all to often, the shops are just to dam lazy to do the job right...

Yes, Unbolt the plastic containers, Disconnect the 1 electrical connector and 2 rubber hoses..

Dump out the old junk, Wash with water and soap if needed....

Re install and fill the washer to the top and the coolant to about 1 inch over the middle seam... Once you drive the truck for 2-3 days, Check the coolant level in the bottle..

Todd Z

Just remove the little overflow hose from below the radiator cap pull the hose away from the radiator and drop it down through the engine compartment to a bucket on the floor. Then pour all the water you want into the reservoir to flush it out as it will go straight into bucket. No need to remove the overflow reservoir from the engine compartment.

Latest posts