Coolant Leak to Nowhere?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta be stubborn\persistent & work thru these sort of issues until they're all resolved.
Entire Coolant system likely needed makeover in any case, to last another 20yrs hopefully.

Didn't see it mentioned... have you check the radiator yet? They have a habit of cracking down the seam in the plastic side "tanks".

If you have a black light it should illuminate the coolant so you can see a trail?

My '02 Sport Trac developed a coolant leak over the summer, and I had trouble determining where the leak was. It finally became evident the back side of the thermostat housing was leaking and the coolant was going under the intake. Never could see the leak from the front. By this time, it was leaking onto the ground. When I took the housing off, it looked like the bottom gasket that resembles a rubber band had failed. The plastic housing looks to be ok.
As I searched for the best deal, a suggestion came up for an aluminum housing through WalMart, who was actually selling it for Parts Geek. I bought mine from Parts Geek instead of going through WalMart. Price was around $53-55, I think, - not much more than the plastic replacements, and included the thermostat, sensor, sending unit, lower hose, clamps and bolts.

Update: New water pump is in and we are leak free for the moment. This was a difficult job for me with the wind chills here in WI -30! Even in the garage it was really cold - No, I don't have a garage heater! What color coolant do you guys use in these 2002 Sport Tracs? I will be posting this next: Suddenly, the truck will not go into 4x4. No click. New control module, right? That didn't do it. I replaced the transfer case motor last spring, and it was working as recently as a couple of months ago. F-R-U-S-T-R-A-T-E-D

Yep. Keep an eye on both the level in the tank & the radiator itself. Do an eyeball inspection under the intake & around the heater hose connections, after driving the next several times.
When replacing the upper radiator hose, can I drain just enough coolant to get the level below the hose? I'd prefer to not have to drain it all if possible. My coolant is brand new.

Yep can do that. If you clean around the drain first & have a clean catch pan, can reuse the coolant. Can filter it thru a clean rag if needed.