Coolant smell

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csamuels

Reaction score
OK, here’s the request……..

I am beginning to smell coolant on the left side of my ST. (usually when I get out, or have the window down) The smell is not inside so I have dismissed a heater core. I see no signs of leaking coolant on the ground, although the coolant level was low (about a quart) in the radiator. All hose connections are dry. Granted the truck has 135K and I have purchased ALL new hoses just in case there is a pinhole leak in one of the hose. (hope to complete this next weekend) Just wanted to check and see if anyone has had any similar experience. The last time I experienced a similar smell on another vehicle it had a head gasket leaking. This ST has never run hot so I am hoping this is not the case….suggestions???

Have you replaced the thermostat in a while? Mine did the same thing. They said the thermostat was sticking.

Last edited by a moderator:
On most vehicles the water pump has a weep hole on the underside behind the fan pulley. I think our Tracs do too, although I haven't had to deal with the water pump yet. If the water pump starts to leak, that's usually where you see it first.

Best thing is to look around, Could be a loose rad cap, Or a loose clamp... There are also several lines on the back of the motor.....

Did you add recently and possibly spill some and it is cooking off ???

Todd Z

Did not add coolant until I started smelling coolant. The only sign I have been able to find is the lower trans line coming into the raditor side tank is heavily corroded, but I still can't find any moisture in the area. I would think there should be some coolant under the truck if there was a leak.....

I would think there should be some coolant under the truck if there was a leak.....

A weep hole does just start to leak out where you can see the drops. A weep hole sometimes drips enough to make a smell, but gets evaporated by the engine heat. Don't just look for drops, you might not find them. You should see some white residue where the leak is.

Tom

I had a pin hole in my radiator on my '94 stang. The way I found it was it finaly got big enough to drip and not evaporate. With that many miles, you might want to consider replacing it anyway. These new aluminum cores dont last as long as they use to...

Sounds like a pinhole leak in the heater coil. The A/C condensate pan catches the leaking coolant and takes it out the drain. You never see any coolant.