Cops thinking switch to Dodge

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Grumpy

Reaction score
Just found this interesting...

State Patrol Wants To Add Speed

POSTED: 6:32 am EST March 29, 2006

UPDATED: 11:35 am EST March 29, 2006

ATLANTA -- The Georgia State Patrol is considering using a speedy muscle car as a new patrol vehicle.

The hope is that a Dodge Charger will give troopers an edge in vehicle chases and even discourage suspects from fleeing, said trooper Larry Schnall, spokesman for the patrol.

I can see why, considering the Crown Vic can't keep up with the hemi-powered Charger in a pursuit situation.

Unless Ford has changed the design of Crown Vics lately, I know a lot of police departments that have gotten away from them because of a safety flaw. The gas tank is behind the rear axle. When hit at a high speed from the rear, the tank is crushed, leaks and explodes. The Center for Auto Safety says 15 police officers have died in Crown Victoria fires since 1992. The Crown Vic today is just a plain 4.6 liter V8 with a beefier suspension. There's a whole lot of cars out there that can out run it. Of course they can't out run the radios, so the need for speed really should not be an issue.

TomT: Many police departments added a metal shield for the fuel tank of the Crown Vic's to prevent such a tragedy. I don't recall if Ford paid for the shield or if they were purchased independently.

The Crown Vic is too heavy, especially with all the equipment in a police car for that 4.6L V8 to be very effective.

I would imagine if Ford sees too many fleet sales fall to Dodge that they add the 5.4L V8 as an available engine. In fact, I'm surprised that Ford hasn't already done this for the Crown Vic.

I think that many police departments need to adopt a 'no high speed chase' rule. Too many officers and innocent bystanders are being killed by such activities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas state troopers have used hot Mustangs and Camaros for years as persute vehicles on the Interstates and many back roads throughout the state.

...Rich

grumpy,

OK, was it the Mustang or Camaro that stopped you ???:D

I got nailed by a trooper in a Mustang about 7-8 years ago. My radar detector was screaming, and I was so deep in though that I didn't even pay attention.

...Rich

My small town PD trading in both crown vics for a Dodge Charger and Ram 1500 4 door both with hemis and solid black with no over head lights.

GA state patrol already has 3 of those in testing, one in metro, one in north GA and one in South GA. They also have white SS camaros as well.

On the crown vic vs charger issue, while they have the SS camaros for pure pursuit vehicles, the Crown vics are out dated, and the charger has MUCH more power than the CVs. It would be a good balance of power and utility.

Latest posts