cost of hardwood floors

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
We are thinking about having hardwood floors installed in our dining room and kitchen. Can anybody give me a ballpark figure for what they cost? We are probably talking roughly 280 sqft. I know it depends on the wood, installers, etc., but somebody tell me if we are talking $1000 or $10,000. thanks

I installed 3/4 inch hardwood over 900 square feet for $4000 (That is edging, nails, glue, etc.). I did the work myself though. It is basically double for someone else to do it.

300 Qs ft of the Armstrong floor installed with trim was 4,000 here installed by a 1 -800 place seen on TV...

Todd Z

I am installing 3/4" hardwood floors right now. I bought the wood from Becklers carpet in Dalton, GA (http://www.becklers.com). They are the cheapest place around. I am putting down a 3" plank which is typically more than a 2-1/4" strip. I paid $2400 for 700 sq ft. delivered to my door.

I did 1/4 of my living room where our formal dining table sits. It is an 18 by 25 area. Since it is a slab, as in concrete, I had to glue the wood in place. Basically worked like tile as far as putting the glue down. With all the wood and trim it cost me $612. I did all the labor. For them to do it was exactly double the price.

Coastie, I thought hardwood flooring like that is supposed to "float" over concrete (not glued to it), and have a thin barrier between...like a thin foam/rubber like sheet? No? At least that's what I have seen...wood strips glued together, but not glued directly to the concrete... or is that what you are saying?

TJR

They have both options. Normally the thinner stuff 3/4 inch and down, is a floating design, and in most cases, is of the snap-together lock-style.

Mine is 1 inch think and is true tongue and groove specifically designed to be glues directly to concrete.

So much depends on where you live, what grade you want and whether it is unfinished or pre-finished flooring. You should be able to get good flooring installed for about $6 per sq.ft. on up. So 280 sq.ft will probably be in the range of $1700 to $2000 for pre-finished, name brand flooring like Bruce or Armstrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just had installed (literally, this weekend) about 450 sq ft of exotic 5/16" engineered hardwood flooring. Timborana and Mahogany. It was glued to the concrete slab and was just over 4K. :eek: We got a great deal on the flooring, but the labor was almost as much at $3/sq ft. I would have done it myself and saved the $, but I've got WAY to many projects going on and am tired of doing them.

Having a Bruce Floor installed as we speak. $4400.00 for 700 sq feet, installed.