Costco Gas....huh!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Costco Gas have that 10% E in it? Only been curious. There is a Costco within 15mins of my house, but I highly doubt I would wait inline just to get it, just b/c the lines are always crazy. Even though the gas is cheaper, is the quality of the gas cheaper as well? (IE: Water, 10% E)

Be thankful you don't live in The People's Republic of Maryland!! A few years ago the Maryland Politburo passed a law that stations like BJs, Costco, Sams, can't sell fuel below retail prices. This is because the stations that were close to them complained. Think about it, people who belong to the clubs pay to belong. Now most of the time BJs price is close to other gas stations, maybe a few cents less.

Even though the gas is cheaper, is the quality of the gas cheaper as well? (IE: Water, 10% E)

The API has standards for gasoline. There will always be water in the gas and almost all gas today is E10.

Now, I live about 35 miles from a refinery. This refinery is a Marathon refinery. I see ALL brqands of trucks getting gas there. BJ's, Marathon/Speedway, SOCI (Sun Oil Company Inc. ..."Sunoco"), Circle K. All the same gas coming out of the same pump. The only major difference is the additives they put in gas to "Make it their own". But even that is hardly nothing.

Tom

I always fill up at COSTCO on my monthly trip there since it is 60 miles away. Since I am inthe parking lot anyway I just fill up on theway out.

I used to be only one mile away from a COSTCO so I filled up there regularly, if it was cheapest. Sometimes gas is cheaper at other places than COSTCO.

Caymen said "The whole "cheap gas" ideas is bogus...IMO. But, I have only been driving for 16 years and over 750,000 miles between work and personal vehicles and have never had a problem with a fuel injector on anything."

45 years plus of driving here and I agree. When I lived in Tucson there was a huge tank farm. Everyone got their gas from the same tank, Shell, TEXACO, etc, just added their additives when filling their tnakers to deliver to the station.

PS During the "Gas crisis" of 1973 or so when there was a"shortage" those tanks were the fullest I ever saw them. The sight guages on the side were showing full tanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding high statistics that show that most customers at a service center who have clogged injectors, etc, buying their gas from the same, local, lowest-price retailer, all I have to say is...DUH!

The local Ford dealer was telling me that he would avoid the local, lowest-cost gas retailer (a local Wawa...those not familiar with that retailer just think "regional 7-11") because most of the people with clogged fuel filters and the like were buying their gas there. Well, since it is 1/2 mile from the Ford dealer, and most people that go to the dealer are local, and since the supplier had the lowest gas prices by far, common sense would dictate that most of the people with fuel line problems probably buy their gas there. That doesn't mean there is an issue...assuming a certain # of people with fuel line problems are expected.

TJR

All my life I spent the extra for top tier before there was such a thing. I have never cloged A filter or had carburater or injector problems. My friends and my brother have on regular basis. But I cant convince them that the cheap no name gas is there problem.

But I cant convince them that the cheap no name gas is there problem.

The gas is NOT the problem, like others are trying to tell you guys it all comes from the same place. My Uncle is a regional manager for Exxon/Mobil and he'll tell you all day long that the only difference this the bullsh_t additives that each company adds to the gas at the hub. You can popur a bottl of Seafoam in your tank every 6 months and acheive the same thing. But if it makes you feel better to get the "good stuff" then go ahead.

Red,, been driving and hotroding for 42yrs. Fuel has never been a problem for me. I know about the additives. I have an uncle that worked in research, with a major oil company. He always kept me informed what was the best fuel or oil. He was honest, it wasnt always their brand....

Last edited by a moderator: