Cracked Hose Location?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Strachan

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I've seen the post over and over again for the "cracked hose" that always triggers the check engine light and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to the location of the hose. Also, by replacing it, can I just disconnect the battery to reset the CEL and be okay or will the light come on again? I just had the EGR valve replaced and the CEL came back on, so I'm guessing the hose is the next issue. Any ideas? A little lost here....:huh:

Also..can this be contributing to bad (and I mean BAD) gas milage? I've only been averaging 250 miles/gallon...and I'm not driving like a race car. I have intake and exhaust on the truck and the filter on the intake is clean.

Thanks everyone!

If the hose was broken the truck would be almost un drivable or not run at all..

What is the code your getting from the CEL??

It may be the DPFE sensor...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll cut my hose if I can get that milage!!

If the code you got was something to the effect of "EGR Flow Insufficient", the EGR was never bad. The problem is the DPFE sensor. Easy and cheap to fix.

The Vacuum hose, IIRC, doesn't always trigger the CEL. When it does triggern the light, it is lean CDL with something like "Lean condition in both banks" (or "left" or "right")

Too many inexperienced mechanics when they get an EGR code want to replace the EGR valve. They need to do a little more homework and they would have fixed the real problem.

As Todd Z asked, what is the code you are getting?

Tom

Hello All!!!

Haven't been on the site in quite some time since I have been on my remote to Korea, but I have been back for my mid-tour to see my Wife and baby girl!!! Needless to say, I had only been driving my ST for about a week (DAMN it was good to be behind the wheel again) and my CEL came on! NOW WHAT, was my first reaction. Took her to AutoZone to have the codes read and to my surprise I had an error of 1701/1704!

Immediately I came out to the site, did a search for anything with those codes in the text and came apon a huge money/time saver. With the posted pictures and details from everyone who has had this problem, I was able to avoid the dealer (well not totally, I had to buy the part from, them (Part #4L5Z6758HA...this is for an '02 ST) and do the job myself. Although it was tough getting the old piece off (I had to cut most of it away in order to take it completely off) I was done in about 10 minutes max.

If it wasn't for this site, I would've shelled out some big bucks (like some may have already done) to have such a simple and inexpensive job done! I've uploaded pics of the old part (odd thing, mine was cracked on the top, not the underside!) and some of the new part as well to "My Library" in the folder labeled Vacuum Tube!

Bottom line, thanks to all the contributors who made this so easy! There should be a monthly "Helpful Tipster" award given to those who gave the most helpful ST or vehicle tips to the group!!!

P.S. GRUMP, if you're out there, I'll be calling soon!!!

:lol:

:D

:rolleyes:

-- UH8ME --

Last edited by a moderator: