Crank but no start after fuel fill-up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyates

Reaction score
After the last 4 or so fill-ups I am having probelms starting the truck. It cranks, but to get it to start I have to press the accelerator to get it started. For about 30 seconds or so it idles rough, then it corrects itself and runs fine until the next fill-up situatiuon.

About 3 weeks ago I had the CEL illumination, and the code was P1450. Cleared the code and no more CEL since. While attempting to start the truck after fill-ups the CEL does come on, but as soon as I get it started it the CEL goes away.

Truck is an '05, with 85k miles. Fuel filter is recent. IAC is clean. MAF is recent. Fuel pump was replaced around 45k.

Any idea? Fuel tank pressure sensor maybe? Vapor canister purge valve? I am not overly mechanical and I will probably end up taking to the shop, but if Ihave an idea maybe I can help the shop folks narrow it down before just replacing parts. And I do not have gauges, etcc, to help diagnose. Surely someone else on here has had this condition and can point my in a direction to resolve it. Last night I was about 200 miles from home, stopped to fuel up, and the starting process had me extremelly nervous as it did not want to start. Since the fill-up I have had about 5 starts with no issues. This problem only occurs with fill-ups.

Following is a positng I found that seems to be exactly like my problem. The solution in this case was the vapor canister purge valve, located in the engine compartmentnear the battery.

http://www.professionalfleet.com/lansing_auto_repair_articles/vehicle_will_not_start_after_filling_with_fuel

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for suggestions so far, but the IAC is basically new. I am still hopeful that someone else has had this exact problem and knows a solution. The web page I linked to, though a more generaic car repair site, is the exact scenario I am experiencing. The vapor cannister purge valve is not very expensive (less the $50 on rockouto for a Ford one) so I am almost willing to order one and try it. And again, it runs fine after I get it started, and this problem only occurs after a fill-up. No other time. Even last night when this occurred again I had probelms getting it started after a fill-up, then it ran rough for 30 seconds or so, then ran perfect all the way home, including 80mph on interstate and at least 2 stops where I had to turn engine off and restart. And today it has now been started 4 different times by me and/or my wife and no issues. This scenario has been the case every time this hard start after fill-up has occured.

And I do not find any hoses underneath dealing with the evap system loose or disconnected. Vent hose that runs up to the fender well is also good, no blockages. This is also a purley on the road vehicle, no off-roading at all.

You are having an issue with the fuel evap system. More than likely the evap canister is getting flooded with fuel and this is making it's way into the enigne and causing a flooded condition when you try to start the engine. A careful inspection of the evap system is in order and possibly you may need a new evap canister.

Thanks as always for your advice l1tech. I decided to take a gamble and purchase the purge valve. It is only a $40 part (from rockauto for a Motorcraft part) and only took me about 20 mins to replace. When I replaced it I also disconnected the battery cables to let the computer reset. After hooking everything back up I took the truck on a ride. I purposedly stopped it and turned the engine off about 3 times during the ride. Started perfect everytime. Drive home and let it sit for about an hour. Went out, started perfect. I needed gas anyway so I drove down and fueled up. After fueling up truck started perfect. Is my problem solved? Who knows?? But looking good so far. If this does not resolve the issue I will look further into your suggestions with evap acannister itself. And maybe it is because I pulled the battery cables, maybe it is becuase of the valve, but the truck is running much smoother than it was before!

Follow-up. I have now fueled up 3 times since replacing the vapor purge valve. I have had NO issues with starting up at any time since the repair. So I truly believe replacing the fuel vapor purge valve has solved my problem. :) Maybe this will help someone else down the road. Again, see link in my post to see the problem I was having and how this vapor purge valve was the issue.