Creaking noise at slow speed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Foster

Reaction score
When i drive my st at slow speeds particular after a complete stop i get this annoying creaking noise. it is hard to tell where it is coming from. the noise doesnot appear when i drive at or around the speed limit. it only make the sound up to about 10-15 miles per hour. When the truck is parked and you rock it to find out where it is coming from it appeares to be coming from inside one of the wheel wells but i am not able to locate the exact location of the noise. it is driving me absoultly insane. The tarc is going in a couple of weeks for its 57000 mile check up please help. i got new shocks about 6 months ago.

Let us know what you find out. Mine has done this from the very beginning - before I replaced the shocks. Especially noticeable when driving slowly over speed bumps. It always disappears when I take it in for service because I get the "unable to duplicate" response from the service tech.

Todd,

Sometimes I can hear it coming from the rear, too. Maybe the ball joints are causing the front end noise, and the leaf springs are causing the rear end noise. It's possible, but the noise sounds the same. When you're in the truck, it's hard to tell sometimes where it's coming from.

What makes it hard to locate is, it goes away after rocking the truck a few times.

Rear sway bar end links....

Todd Z

When the ball joints went on my 2001 Trac, it was clear where the noise was coming from. All I had to do was rock the truck from side to side, and it didn't go away.

Either ball joints or control arms. My '97 Explorer did the same thing. The ball joints were fine, but both control arms had to be replaced.

I also have the creaking which sounds like its coming from under the bed of the truck. I'm really leaning towards the leaf springs as the culprit. It feels like the bed suspension has to stretch out. It could be anything that anyone suggested before also, but I think it has more to do with the leaf springs.

Latest posts