Cricket type noise under hood

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Olenko

Reaction score
My '02 ST periodically has that typical cricket, chirp type noise under the hood on the passenger side. Since the source of that sound can be elusive, I decided to replace the alternator, idler pulley, and belt tensioner. I thought it was fixed. Now the noise is back. (I am not even really sure if it went away in the first place now.) The noise is generally there under acceleration and it does come and go, sometimes to the point of being totally gone. What is left to check? Could it be something under the valve cover? Some people have mentioned to replace the belt to me but I fail to see how this can be since the noise appears to be metal/mechanical in nature. When replacing the parts, I did check the belt and it appeared to be fine, but I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

Had it on my 02, turned out crap had gotten on the belt and it was decaying, so I replaced the belt, and viola, no more noise.

Did you think the replace the belt?

The belt gets hard and slightly glazed up. A new belt is sticky. Seriously, you replaced an alternator and decided the keep the belt? If the alternator was bad, you would have known it.

Tom

Once I had the belt off, I repeatedly spun every pulley, tensioner, etc. I could and the only possible unwanted noise I heard was a noise on the alternator pulley. Plus the vehicle has 176,000 kms on it so I figured now would be a pretty good time to do it. Also, as mentioned I did inspect the belt and it appeared to be fine.

Also, as mentioned I did inspect the belt and it appeared to be fine.

Yea, you are right. Change the power steering pump and AC compressor. It could NEVER be the belt.

Change the belt. Even though it looks fine, I am 99% sure it is the belt making the noise. It was not the tensioner, alternator, or idler pulley. It was the belt. I am 99% sure of it.

It is your vehicle and your money. You spend as you see fit.

Tom

Tom, I'm not sure where this belittling is coming from. I don't profess to be an expert but the wisdom I get from this board is that after a lot of miles on a vehicle it is wise to change the idler pulley and tensioner anyway. I don't consider it a waste. The cost is relatively cheap and a quick repair really. A belt change is fast also. I will try a belt and see how it responds.

Anyone missing a cat? Happened to me before.

My 1970 Ranchero, with lot's of crawl space, and warmth.

Needless to say, it wasn't pretty.

Steve M- You mean change what was once a cat. :cry:

I now make it a habit, to check under the hood, before starting.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should change that cat, Steve. You said it wasn't pretty so it must need changing!

52726b41e77b433cdc5a3de0bad1aabf.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
kewlthing,

I was not trying to belittle you. The majority of chirps under the hood come from the belt. If it is a constant chirp, then that points at a idler or tensioner. If it is a "once in a while while under acceleration" chirp, almost 99% of the time (for me) it is the belt. I have seen belts that "look fine" cause head aches and those that look like crap work perfectly fine.

Before I spent the money on an alternator, I would have replaced the belt. But that is just me. The belt is cheaper than an alternator is.

Tom

Kewlthing, I dont see where you get he was bellittling you? What i read was that he was trying to help you save some money. Dude if your rich and money doesnt matter , WHY were you asking for advice in the first place??!!!:haveabeer:

ok i replaced the idler pulley, and belt tensioner and the belt and the noise went away on my 04

but during the past week or so i have noticed the same kind of noise as he is describing come back, where to look now? no cats or crickets under there either i checked..lol

kewlthing,

Try this:

Take a bar of ordinary hand soap and place it very carefully on the inside of the belt as the Trac idles. Be VERY careful for your fingers. Let the belt pick up some of the soap. If the noise goes away, you need a belt. It could be the joint in the belt that is chirping. If it does not go away, you may still need a belt but you likely have some other problem. If you are uncomfortable doing it, I live in Crestview and can give you a hand.

Gerry Mac

one thing to remember, do not use the anti-squeak spray they sell for belts.

you risk the belt slipping with the added chemical spray.

Take a bar of ordinary hand soap and place it very carefully on the inside of the belt as the Trac idles. Be VERY careful for your fingers. ............. If you are uncomfortable doing it, I live in Crestview and can give you a hand.

Not literally, I hope. :grin: :bwahaha: :bwahaha:

kewlthing,

:welcome:

Don't mind Caymen. Sarcasm is his native language.

Google search on the words: SARCASM and RECOURSE ...to understand what most think about sarcasm and people that use it.

TJR

TJR,

Glad to see the mechanical help you are providing to kewlthing. Awesome post bud!!!

Tom

p.s. This post (right here) is me being sarcastic.

TJR, I was always told that profanity was the recourse of a weak mind trying to express itself.

Again, I suspect the belt.

:back2topic:

Latest posts