Cruise Control Finally Fixed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes Davis

Reaction score
Been without cruise control for at least two years. Finally purchased the cruise control cut off switch and replaced and now all is good. Took me 30 seconds of time to replace the switch. Bought the switch from Amazon Prime for $19.00. Can't believe I waited this long. Next gremlins to tackle. Exterior keypad on driver door has stopped working. Have been told it is likely a broken wire inside the boot between the door and door jamb. Rear a/c fan/vent in center console has stopped working. Hope this is also a simple loose or broken wire. It has been a good month for the 2005 Sport Trac, have completed a lot of neglected and routine maintenance.

New wheels

New tires

New brakes

Repaired emergency brake

Repaired cruise control

Still have to fix squeak in rear bracket of leaf springs.

Need to replace passenger side turn signal lens that has a broken.

Fog lights have stopped working been told it is the headlight switch.

Very pleased with results so far. 85,000 miles and no major repairs. :banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure to check your body mount bushings. Can save you some trouble down the road. Its good that you took care of those things, regular maintenance is so essential to the comfort and longevity of our trucks. Bob

Yeh my body mount bushings are clearly deteriorating but they haven't crumbled completely away yet. Thats just crazy that these mounts are universally failing.

My cruise control went completely dead. No indicator light on the dash and just would not work. Replaced the cut off switch and it was an instant fix. I am posting a link below. Easiest repair I have ever made, can't believe I waited so long.

My e brake became jammed up with an aftermarket wire under my dash. Got caught in the mechanism when my girlfriend at the time applied the brake. It was jammed solid, no amount of pressure on the release or anything else would let it loose. A mechanic in the parking lot saw we were stuck and offered to help. He stuck a screwdriver in the mechanism and was able to pry apart the tabs that secured the end of the brake cable. The mechanism is not designed for this, it is pressed together as a unit from the factory release, cable and all one piece. I was able to remove the release from the firewall and with some ingenuity get it all put back together and working. This is one of the most complicated repairs I have completed. Lots of wires, bushings, bolts springs etc etc. I was quite surprised how complicated the emergency brake system is designed.

I just starting having issues where the CC won't engage.

if I can get it working it's fine, but if I tap teh brake or the off\coast, and then teh up or resume, it doesn't re-engage.

Could this switch going bad be related?

thanks

I just fixes my door code buttons it was broken wires in the rubber boot in the driver door jam cut it down the middle with a razor pulled it out fished out the broken wires hooked em back together replaced boot sealed boot back with a little super glue and done took about 30 minutes and it was working fine.

Latest posts