cruise control lights?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
I noticed that the lights on the right side cruise control controls (redundant isn't it?) no longer work, so at night I can't tell which turns them on and off. The did work at one point. Anyone have any ideas?:unsure:

Those pods use regular incadescent bulbs that will burn out after some time. There really isn't an easy way to do it yourself, and the bulbs are hard to find at best. If under warranty, I'd get Ford to replace them for you.

Well, the best way to go about changing them, if you can find the bulbs, is to disconnect the battery, pop off the two acess covers on either side of the steering wheel on the back, and remove the airbag. The top of the pod will then unclip from the bottom half, there are about 10 metal connections that you have to be careful not to bend or break when removing. There is an electronics board that the bulb sits on..give the bulb a quick turn and remove it, replace it, and put it all back together. For some reason, it seems the right side goes out a lot while the left side doesn't go out much at all...

If I were you, and if you can solder, I'd solder in an LED instead of a bulb...never have to replace it again.

Tiger,

Yeah the left ones work fine, it's the right ones that went out.

Scott,

I will definitely tackle this myself, just need to buy the bulbs. Once I get it disassembled are the bulbs a standard size that I could purchase at any autoparts store?

TIA

Jake

Do as Tiger said. You will not find a matching bulb to the one in there.

go to superbrightleds.com and get the #74 green led without a base. solder it onto the board, problem solved.

did my entire instrument cluster with wled5 white #194 bulbs.

Your headlight, 4x4, and rear window switch may be susceptible, you can mod the #74 led to fit in that assembly as well.

Scott, thanks for emailing me the instructions, I see what I'll be doing this weekend.

Nobleman, I couldn't find the #74 green led. Was it a 3mm or a 5mm? Did you have to solder in any resistors? I'm going to call them later to see about ordering them.

Solace, I've gotten them to come on once a couple of months ago but since then it's a no go. The only thing that happens now is my hand starts to hurt after a while!

Scroll to Instrument Cluster and Gauge Backlights.

No resistors needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anytime.

There was a thread about this somewhere, but I can't find it. you can use a 9V battery to test the lamp and find + and -, but I forgot which is + and - on the circuit board.