Cruise Control not functioning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H K

Reaction score
Aboutg a month back my cruise control buttons broke, at the same time my cruise stopped functioning. I have replaced the switches and the attached wiring harness.

The Cruise is still not working.

When pressing the on button then the set button the indicator light will flash but it does not stay on and the ST begins to slow as I take my foot from the gas pedal.

I looked at fuse 9 in the panel on the left side of the dashboard.

Are there other fuses, other connectors?

Any suggestions?

This issue sounds similar to what Roy is going through.

On the master cylinder is a pressure switch...I think its called "cruise control cutout switch" which is usually the problem. The purpose is to release the cruise control when the brakes are applied. Now its preventing cruise control from engaging. I had the same symptom for about two years and finally decided to replace the switch. Instant success. Get the part number and shop around for a good price.

Also, my "on" button cracked open, but the other buttons looked fine. So I took some soft velcro that has a sticky back, cut it to shape and applied it over the on button. Looks better and it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
HK, agree with johnz, did this on my 2003. Easy permanent quick fix!

TSB shows only 2001-02 ST years. Check for the RED switch anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacing the Red Cruise Control Brake Sensor (Projects section)

Dont even recall if I had the red switch, but replacing the existing switch was the ticket!

My 2005 also stopped working. Replaced the master cylinder switch and instant fix. Purchased my new switch off Amazon.com for around $20.00. I need to order new steering wheel switches as mine have all cracked and fallen off.

/

I have lights shineing thru my on/off switch. It still works though. My family and freinds have fords older and of same year other than my trac. Their switches dont have the problems of the gen1 trac?????????????? Why??????????????????

Me said:

My 2005 also stopped working. Replaced the master cylinder switch and instant fix. Purchased my new switch off Amazon.com for around $20.00. I need to order new steering wheel switches as mine have all cracked and fallen off.

Got a part number for the switch, or a link to where you found it on Amazon? My '04 has been this way for a while. Figure it's worth $20 to give it a try.

Thanks, Steve. I ordered it on Wednesday. Should arrive today. I'll install it this weekend and see if that cures the problem.

Took me about a minute to install the new switch yesterday. Problem solved!:supercool: Thanks for the tip!:haveabeer:

Latest posts