Dad's Last Truck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVST

Reaction score
Hi, My Dad passed away in 2014 and mom has kept his truck. Unfortunately, she also loaned it out long term to one of my siblings who didn't take care of it as he should have. I'm trying to bring it back to decent condition. It's a 2009 with 212K and a lot of little things wrong with it. I've already replaced a rear axel and front bearings. I have the parts to recover the center console armrest and the cruise control switches. The gasket on the tonneau is loose. Any special sealant to re attach it to the cover to preserve rain protection for the bed? Also looking for an economical way to carry a kayak (for when I borrow it from Mom.)

Anything I should look out for with respect to safety, roadworthiness, neat accessories?

Truck.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

The truck in that pic is not an 09.

If it was not taken care of well there are all sorts of things I would deal with...
- all fluids
- brake inspection
- suspension inspection
- condition of serp belt
- condition of all hoses
- clean everything
- probably many other things

Yep. Sorry, Fatfinger. 2003.

And all of those standard things for any vehicle have been cared for. I'm asking if there are any specific things that older TportTracs are prone to that other vehicles usually aren't.

Crumbled body mount bushings
PCV valve and elbow
Cracked radiator
Cracked thermostat housing

Careful with those timing chain tensioners. I would drop the oil pan and look for shrapnel first. If the guides are already busted removing the tensioners will allow them to fall apart and make things worse.

^^^+Ditto on all the above items. Replace the junk plastic HeaterControlValve with an old fashioned metal valve; any plastic cooling component Replace with metal were you can. Replace the Cluster bulbs; you're lucky 2003 iz last year with preHEC cluster.. Replace the FogLamps with CreeLEDs. Replace all hoses, belt, fluids, filters. Lube wheel bearings thru ABSSensors.

for the kayak carry, I'm using a $55 'universal cross bar' rack from ebay. It's fine for lighter loads such as a kayak or single canoe.
Used Shoe Goo on my tonneau gasket, it's a tough waterproof glue, should be able to find it in hardware store.

i would think it was maintained decent for the miles with no major issues, i would listen to the motor, if no rattle sounds ya might be good on chains and i would do like blert said and look at oil and if it looks good keep a eye on oil quite a bit and look for color, if it gets dark right away not the best sign, should stay clear. and look at some of the pics on here and you will see some cool ideas for mounts.

i noticed it says west virg, they have inspections here and find a good shop when ya get it done and ask them to give it a once over and let ya know if they see any issues. most i have seen here are mom and pop shops so find a good one.

Latest posts