Dagnabit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads Tractors

Reaction score
Having shocks put on today only to find that I may need a new rear main seal. Crap. Love my

ST but how much do I really need to keep sinking into an 2002...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it just seeping? High mileage oil can cure that problem.

If that doesn't work, Bar's Leaks is great stuff I've used personally and have friends that have used. Use exactly as directions state and every time in my experience it does the job well.

Just let it drip, Check your oil once a month or so.

Todd Z

The answer to your question "...how much do I..." is that autos are machinery, and machinery wears out. Getting to a rear main seal is very expensive; most of us would live with it. If, however your transmission failed and had to come out then you'd be wise to replace the seal then.

Yup. I was quoted $500 plus the $35ish seal. Pretty invasive deal but thought that price was not too bad. Gonna live with it for a while I think unless it gets worse.

If you plan to live with it, def step it up to a high mileage oil as you start to add, and/or on your next change. That might be all you need.

Besides comparing the cost of repairs to a replacement vehicle, this is a perspective a friend shared with me - sum the costs of repairs and average them over the time of ownership. You'll have to pick your own threshold of pain, but for me, if I can keep that average annual repair cost below $750.00 (~$60.00 per month), with no loan payment, I'm okay.

If I were considering a new engine and transmission, I might look in to a replacement vehicle.

Latest posts