DavfeG New Member with '03 XLT w/ Issues to Solve

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavfeG

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello, I'm Dave, an old timer in RI that has bought and sold, worked on and repaired 100+ cars starting at 15 yrs old with the one that got away, a '39 Chevy 2 door with 327 4 barrel and stick shift. Traded with money (mine) for a POS '63 Ford Falcon Sprint 260 V8, that started my journey to learning to repair cars. So I recently bought the '03 based on photos and videos and hoped for the best that a truck with a new Pennsylvania inspection sticker would be ready to go. My son had previously owned one and I liked everything about Sport Tracs: sunroof, 4WD, rear window going down, AC, keyless entry and nice looks. Well PA inspection apparently lets you through with no emergency brake and ABS problems. The cruise didn't work and I've got to deal with axle and pinion seals etc. So a little at a time and I've joined this site in hopes of some help, same as I did when I recently purchased a 1990 Cadillac Allante.

I started with the clunk in the drivers door where the rivet on the door holding the door lock mechanism on failed and that took only 20 minutes, so onto the broken and cracked cruise control buttons. Seemed like an easy job and it was but when finished bolting things up the horn blew continuously. What a bummer. I've looked here and on line for a solution but have not found an answer so far. I will post a picture of my truck and put more on the forum about my horn/air bag issues. By the way, the silver '02 Toyota Highlander next to the ST, that I bought new, and I love Toyotas, is what the Sport Trac is supposed to replace. But...until I can get the bugs out of it, I continue to drive this dependable 4 cyl with 225K on it which doesn't sit well with the Mrs. By the way the ST has 238K on it, but I always figure if it made it this far then it must have a few more miles left to enjoy it. Wish me luck on this new adventure of repairs and enjoyment, I hope......Davfe G

Attachments

• DSCN1056.JPG
    DSCN1056.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN1057.JPG
    DSCN1057.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the forum. Great looking truck!

Welcome, She has miles on her, Take care.

Hi Dave. Another RI er in the forum. I have an 03 XLT. I replaced the cruise control buttons on mine. Make sure that the side bolts are positioned and tightened correctly. I'd just quickly redo it and check the position of the airbag assembly. Good luck and maybe we will see each other on the Rhodes of our small state.

Hello, I'm Dave, an old timer in RI that has bought and sold, worked on and repaired 100+ cars starting at 15 yrs old with the one that got away, a '39 Chevy 2 door with 327 4 barrel and stick shift. Traded with money (mine) for a POS '63 Ford Falcon Sprint 260 V8, that started my journey to learning to repair cars. So I recently bought the '03 based on photos and videos and hoped for the best that a truck with a new Pennsylvania inspection sticker would be ready to go. My son had previously owned one and I liked everything about Sport Tracs: sunroof, 4WD, rear window going down, AC, keyless entry and nice looks. Well PA inspection apparently lets you through with no emergency brake and ABS problems. The cruise didn't work and I've got to deal with axle and pinion seals etc. So a little at a time and I've joined this site in hopes of some help, same as I did when I recently purchased a 1990 Cadillac Allante.

I started with the clunk in the drivers door where the rivet on the door holding the door lock mechanism on failed and that took only 20 minutes, so onto the broken and cracked cruise control buttons. Seemed like an easy job and it was but when finished bolting things up the horn blew continuously. What a bummer. I've looked here and on line for a solution but have not found an answer so far. I will post a picture of my truck and put more on the forum about my horn/air bag issues. By the way, the silver '02 Toyota Highlander next to the ST, that I bought new, and I love Toyotas, is what the Sport Trac is supposed to replace. But...until I can get the bugs out of it, I continue to drive this dependable 4 cyl with 225K on it which doesn't sit well with the Mrs. By the way the ST has 238K on it, but I always figure if it made it this far then it must have a few more miles left to enjoy it. Wish me luck on this new adventure of repairs and enjoyment, I hope......Davfe G
Good luck!

Hi Dave. Another RI er in the forum. I have an 03 XLT. I replaced the cruise control buttons on mine. Make sure that the side bolts are positioned and tightened correctly. I'd just quickly redo it and check the position of the airbag assembly. Good luck and maybe we will see each other on the Rhodes of our small state.
Thanks for the reply Pat. I don't use Cruise too often but the buttons were broke and it looks a lot nicer. The "on" button wasn't working before I changed them and cruise still isn't working but I'd still like to fix it. Any ideas on what I should pursue under the hood?

Hi Dave. Did you install a new harness with the cruise control buttons? Also did you install a new BLACK cutoff switch located on the end of the master cylinder. The old switch could be defective and will not allow the cruise to engage. Do the usual fuse checks. If you need parts, Pick and Pull in Johnstown has a few decent Gen ! Sports Tracs with the cruise control modules, but replace that switch first. Amazon has a lot of them with good ratings.

Latest posts