Day time running/ alawys on head lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sefus sefus

Reaction score
So either I never noticed, or my headlights just kicked over to always on mode in my new to me 01 trac. Did I hit the right(wrong!) switch or whisper the magic word or what? Any tech tips on what wires to hack to get em off the always on mode. Thanks guys and gals!

-Sefus

I don't remember if the 01 had DRL, but I think there would be a switch on the bottom of the rear view mirror for it ??

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Odds are, you got a Canada Spec model. They have DRL's. The 01 US Spec never had them.

Did you buy your Trac new or used?

Tom

Look on your dash by the windshield to see if there is a clear eye like. I have an 01 that I had DRL and automatic headlights put on and that is where they put the eye.

2001 US Sport Tracs did not have DRL's and they were not available as an option,but Canadian law required them.

Sport Trac do have Auto Headlights which uses a sensor on the windshield side of the rear-view mirror. This will turn on the headlights at dusk and off at dawn. The mirror has a slide switch that controls how long the lights stay on after you shut off the ignition and exit the vehicle.

I think some of the folks who replied are confusing DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) with Auto-Headlights.

...Rich

Rich, I added BOTH to my 01 ST. They use the original light switch. The switch stays all the way to the left position and I leave the fog light switch pushed in. During the day the headlights come on, just not as bright as night time. The fog lights stay off. When it gets dark enough the go up to full power and the fog lights also come on. I bought mine new and had this put on at the dealership when it became available as an add on. You had two different kits you could get. One was just the daytime running lights. The other kit had the daytime running lights and the automatic headlights. The later one was the one I got.

I have 01 ST US version, the 1st owner install that additional DRL, what i did is i always put the switch on parklight so its not always bright on days.

hmmm, well I'll have to look around on the mirror and dash for the switch and/or sensor. I swear they just came on cause I usually drive with just my parking lights on during the day but now they are always on. Thanks for the tips!

-Sefus

Sefus,

If you have a Canada Spec model, you can not turn the DRL's off. If you have a US Spec model, there are no DRL's.

Tom

Figuring I've got a Canada spec - nothing on the mirror, no eye on the dash... so which fuse is it in the box that i get to pull? Thanks!

-Sefus

Latest posts