Dealer Maintenance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Branch

Reaction score
I started to post this on Michell's string about "Who do you trust" but I thought it would be better to keep my question seperate.

About 500 miles ago I turned over 100K. My ST developed a small squeel (sp?) and grind in the front brakes so I decided I would take it into the dealer fora 100K service (some of you may remember my string asking about what should be done and how much it should cost). So, during the service they found that the rear axel was leaking oil onto one of the pads so they fixed that and did a brake job on the rear, stating that the front had 50% left on the pads. When I picked up the ST the brakes sqeeked as I left my foot off the brake to back out of the parking space. This was after hours so I went home and called the service manager the next day. That's when he told me about the 50% on the front and said that the noise and grinding may be comming from the new pads and turned drums on the rear:wacko:, he asked me to drive it for a week or so and see if it goes away. Well it's been about three weeks and as expected there is no improvement.

This weekend I took the ST into Sears for my free tire rotation and balance and asked them to take a look at the brakes. As expected they said that the fronts were well below spec and that the rotors needed to be turned and may need to be replaced. Also, they said that the rear drums needed turning. Yes the same drums that the dealer just turned a couple weeks before.

I have talked with the service manger and will be under the ST with him at 11 a.m. tomorrow. My question is, should I press them to make this right for free? If they would have done the fronts at the time of the 100K service I definitly would have paid for it, but now that I find that they have charged me to turn my rear drums and possibly didn't do it and they told me that my fronts were fine and now find out that they are worn to the point that pads only may not fix the problem. Am I wrong in expecting them to take care of both things for free? I have already given them $1,100 for the scheduled maint. What do yall think?

Oh no, the $1100 was for a full 100K mile service; tranny flush, plugs, wires, brakes and several other big ticket items. I think the $ was worth it if it weren't for this brake issue. If they make this right I would recommed them to anyone. I bought the Trac used from this dealer and that would a pleasant experience, tomorrow will definitly determine if I ever do business with them again, service or new vehicle.

I like my Ford Dealer in WallingFORD, CT Colony Ford.

They have been very good to me. and never caused any problem. nor have they tried to rip me off.

Like changing the Buckles on my Belts or telling me I had a run in my Hose.:rolleyes:

they have found problems. told me what I needed. and let me make the choice on them or someone else doing the job. even told me that it could wait until next time.

this has been with my 2 ford rangers and my ST