Dealership sales vs X-plan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. Because under X-Plan, you might be eligible for additional rebates/incentives on top of what's available to the public. Also, under X-Plan, you don't pay any of the "document/processing/dealer" fees. These can be upwards of $500 depending on the dealer.

And I doubt you're ever going to negotiate the dealer down to a price near the X-Plan price. Remember, they'll try to negotiate a price for you that factors in the incentives. With X-Plan, there's the set price (usually a little below actual invoice) and then the incentives come off of that price.

TrainTrac,

X-Plan does not eliminate Documentation Fees! ...Usually referred to as TT&L (Tax, Title & License Fees) The Dealer may waive some of them, but most dealers will still charge you the Documentation Fees (Usually the Taxes, plus an additional $50-$100 for the Title and License Fees). Some States limit how much a Dealer can charge in Document Fees...Texas is $50.

Dealer Stocking Fees, Advertisement Fees, Dealer Delivery Prep Fees, etc, and all the other Dealer BS Fees are not part of the X-Plan deal.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard,

Maybe the rules have changed in the nine years since I've bought a new Ford using X-Plan. But prior to that, I bought three of them using X-Plan, from three different dealers, and was charged $0 in document/TTL fees. And each dealer told me they weren't allowed to charge a customer such fees that was using the AXZD-Plan Program.

Apparently things have changed. Just found this online:

Document Fees

Dealers will be permitted to assess up to $100 in documentary fees on each delivery to an eligible purchaser under the terms of the Plan, unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation. Each dealer is responsible for complying with applicable laws or regulations.

Unless otherwise provided by state or local laws or regulation: In states where dealers are not permitted to charge as much as $100 for doc fees, dealers would be capped at the lesser amount as provided by the state. In states that permitted more than $100, dealers would be permitted to charge the Plan customer $100. In states that permitted more than $100 and also required that all customers be charged the same amount, dealers may charge the Plan customer $100 and indicate any additional fees have been paid by Ford Motor Company as part of the AXZD-Plan Program dealer reimbursement on the buyer's order.

Doc Fee Charges should be detailed on the AXZD Plan Pricing Agreement located in number 4.

TrainTrac,

I don't know when you bought your last X-plan? Mine was in 2003, when I bought my last Sport Trac and you had to pay TT&L (Tax, Title & Licensing). Even under the X-Plan you have always had to pay the state "Tax" unless the state waived the taxes (very rare). The Title & Licensing Fees are the "Documentation fees" that are waived by the X-Plan. Most states regulate the maximum the dealer may charge for Documentation Fees to $50, $100 or even $150...I suspect that some may even be higher.

The other Fees waived by the X-Plan are all those annoying Dealer fees that they make up to boost their profits, like Stocking fees (just to have the car on their lot?), Dealer Prep fees (taking the plastic off the seats, vacuuming and washing the vehicle prior to delivery), Advertising Fees (often a flat fee added to each vehicle for advertising the dealership even when some dealers don't advertise?..they rely on the manufacturer's advertizing)....and there are a lot more. Actually, many dealers have stopped charging all those bogus fees because people are refusing to pay them and will go to a dealer that does not charge the fees beyond TT&L....it all depends upon how close other competing dealerships are.

...Rich