Did EPC adjustment and chaged filter/fluid!!!! O MY!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Well i took the trac in for the tranny fluid change and filter change as todd z told me to, and i had the mechanic up the epc almost 1/4 turn-all ican say is wow!!!!!!!! It shifts like it used to 40k ago i think! Right through the gears-bam bam bam! :D Havent had a flair up yet(knock on wood) and hopefully i dont ever again! Todd-i think it was just the fluid friction problem like you said. I added the motorcraft mercon v, had it flushed, dropped pan, and changed filter uped epc all for the price of $160 with tax! Not bad in my eyes.

Thanks For all the help guys!

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
You're lucky you have Todd around to help you with such things. I didn't have the heart to ask him to work on my Trac while he was down here in SoCal. :p But seriously, I plan on doing those things myself.

Flip- i didnt have Todd helpin me-sorry if i wasnt clear as to what i meant lol- I had a long phone talk with todd concerning what i should do, so when i went in to have tranny work done, i knew exactly what i wanted...I too wish i was closer than 8 hours away so i could have todd help me personally lol

Thanks

Andy

Told you.....

Do you here an echo!????

Ohhh Because I am on my high horse... Sorry.... :lol::p

Todd Z

John, that is slightly high, But about what a dealer would charge, Look for coupons, Most dealers have them or specials if you ask..

Todd Z

John,

As previously stated, that is way too high for a tranny flush. I just had my 2003 Sport Trac tranny flushed and it only cost $85. That included 14 quarts of a 100% synthetic Mercon-V compatible fluid.

If you have the Ford Dealer do it, you are paying too much, and you will only get Ford's standard Mercon-V which is only a semi-synthetic.

Andy,

I hope the EPC adjustment works for you.

My only objection to doing the EPC adjustment to increase fluid pressure in the 2001-2002 Sport Trac's is the fact that those years had a reputation for blowing out valvebody gaskets.

The leaking gasket actually reduces pressure which makes the shifts sloppy with excessive slippage which will eventually ruin the transmission.

There is an improved valvebody Ford installed on the 2003 and later Sport Tracs, but I don't know if this new vavlebody is designed to reduce/eliminate the gasket failures???

...Rich

I think the gasket failure was from it being a separate or bad gasket... The new ones the gasket is molded to the plate...

I just think the bolts did not hold the earlier plate tight enough to keep it from blowing out...

Have to remember, Your upping the max pressure, not the running pressure. So if the tranny does not call for max pressure, you don't get it...

I don't see it being an issue...

Todd Z