Diesel Engine swap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devin Underberg

Reaction score
i have been thinking continous about getting rid of my Sport Trac for a something with more power. I have been thinking about my Powerstroke I use for work and the power and mileage it gets. The Sport Trac gets less in both areas. I also have a Volkswagen Jetta TDi for long trips that gets around 50mpg.

I like the size of the Sport Trac and how its easier to get around in tight areas. Well after doing research on various V8 engine swaps (4.6, 5.0). I began to think about a diesel engine swap. The new 2007 Ford Ranger overseas has a 3.0 Liter diesel engine. It has some pretty impressive power numbers. I am not sure what they get for mileage but most diesels get better than there gasoline counterparts.

I am going to look for a wrecked Ranger for this project which I would like to start this coming spring. If anyone has any information about this swap or any information at al,l it will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Devin

I'm pretty sure that swapping a diesel engine into a non-diesel vehile violates federal laws. You might want to look into that.

Other then that I have seen it done, someone did it with an explorer but they werent' able to get the 4wd working.