Diferentials

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Stoiber

Reaction score
Hey all, Just wondering how often do the front/rear differential fluids need to be changed? When I got an oil change the other day, they said I need to do so. I was always under the impression that the fluids do not need to be changed until about 100k miles or so (I am only at 20k). How can I tell if they need to changed? Is it easy to do myself? TIA:wub:

I believe the manual says 100k, but every 30K is better. I have an '05 but I did mine already because I wanted Mobil 1 synthetic lube front and rear, plus I off-road a couple times a year and get the diffs under water. 75w-90 front and 75w-140 rear. The rear isn't too bad but the front is a PITA to get the cover off to drain it, plus with my surgically repaired elbows I couldn't bust most of the bolts loose. Went to the Valvoline Quicky-Lube, for $20 each they sucked out the diffs with their machine and put my Mobil 1 in both. The front takes a little under 2 quarts, the rear takes about 2.5 quarts plus friction modifier if you have a limited-slip.

The Quicky-Lube here charges about $34 to do the whole thing and fill it themselves. I'd recommend that at least for the front if not both.

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm OK, makes sense. Better safe than sorry. I guess my next oil change I will bring in some fluids like you did, and just have them do it for me. Thanks!

Latest posts