Diff fluids replaced, now is leaking from hose

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

Hi all,

I took ST to have fluids replaced today, since last time was around 50k miles and now I have 90k miles and it looks like they added too much fluids, it is leaking from breathing hose.

I called and they said to come back to check, and my question is, how many quarts/ pints normally takes? I did replace cover and added 8.8 Ford Racing aluminum cover.

Thank all.

Jose

PS- I had them check u joints and they said my front u joint- attached to tranny looks like loose, it this normal? I have vibration when reaching 50 to 55 miles and then is gone.

Some alum covers have the fill hole way above the axle tubes.

The techs that do not know any better fill them in the conventional manner (just till it starts to drip out)

While my Roush was still under waranty, I took it in for bad diff clutch packs.

They replaced them (I have a Roush Diff Girdle)

Driving home, was blowing smoke out the back (oil on the exhaust)

back to the dealer, up on the rack, diff fluid all over the place, they put 3 extra pints in the diff.

It should be about 5.5 pints.

There should be no play in the U-joint. I would check it yourself to make sure there not BSing you.

Last edited by a moderator:

ok guys, thank you much. I believe he added close to 8 pints, so I am heading back tomorrow to the shop yo have it fixed.

I will check the u joints tomorrow too.

Jose

You always use the fill hole IN the diff, NOT the one in the cover......

Todd Z

On a Sport Trac there is a Fill hole in the Housing..... On the newer mustangs I can not comment.....

I was talking about on the ST, which is what he owns and is talking about..

Todd Z

he also has a ford racing alum cover, stang and the trac are the same.

If they put in 8 pints, he is overfilled by 4 pints.

Thats why he is blowing oil, same exact problem I had.