Diff oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brant 1

Reaction score
Quick question,

I have to change the gear oil in my front and back diffs. What weight or oil should I use and how much do I need? Also can I just use RTV silicone to seal the covers or is there a gasket?

2002 4x4 w/o limited slip.

Brant

Edit: I just did a search and it worked this time... first time I did it it didnt turn up anything... a well. Looks like the back end will be simple but I might just get the front done, they only charge 44 dollars a diff anyway...

Last edited by a moderator:
Brant all that info is in your owners manual.... IF you don't have one you can down load it for free...

Todd Z

conventional and

Traction-Lok rear

axles

2, 3, 4 2, 3, 4 2, 3, 4

Front axle (4X4)

Motorcraft SAE

80W-90 Premium

Rear Axle

Lubricant

XY-80W90-QL WSP-M2C197-A

Transfer case

(4X4)

Motorcraft

MERCON

Multi-Purpose

ATF

XT-2-QDX MERCON

Transfer case

Front Output Slip

Shaft

Premium

Long-Life Grease

XG-1-C or

XG-1-T or

XG-1-K

ESA-M1C75-B

Max-Gear is recommended for use in truck, motor home / RV, and automotive front or rear differentials, manual transmissions, and lower gear units of marine engines that specify use of an API GL-5 or GL-4 fluid. All viscosities of Max-Gear are formulated with hypoid friction modifiers necessary for use in clutch or cone type differentials. No additional additives are necessary.

Gavin,

I was always curious about that, But the research I have done says to just use the regular ATF...

Todd Z

Yeah, I thought it was curious that Ford recommends Mercon V for the transmission, but plain Mercon for the Power Steering and the Transfer Case.

Now I understand that Mercon isn't available anymore, and Mercon V says on the bottle that it is an acceptable substitute for plain Mercon. However, if it is an acceptable substititue, why doesn't Ford just recommend Mercon V in everything?

They like to keep you guessing and they like to CYA !!! :):D

Todd Z

Latest posts