Different Transmissions??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I am beating this horse dead for sure, but I want to keep my trac, im willing to spend the cash on a 100% fix for my baby ;)

WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THE TRANNY?

Buying a rebuilt might end up the same way, so I dont want to do that.

Constantly fixing the one I have - NO

So is there other trannys that I can get that will replace this POS I have now? (As you see im getting really frusterated here)

I know ToddZ was talking about it... Help me Todd! Or Someone?!?!

All the explorer tranny's are 5R55? The ? being a different number. They are all about the same. The things you can do are Upgrade the EPC solenoid, Get an XCal2 to adjust the transmission shifting, and slip, and install a PML deeper pan, and Flush every 30K min.

Todd Z

I was going to work on that next week, I just found out about the other tranny's yesterday..

BUT it is not the tranny you have, IT is the way ford programs them. You can make your trany strong enough to take what you throw at it...

I am only considering changing the tranny for the gear ratios nothing else. They are Still all 5r55 tranny's....

Todd Z

So what is it that I have to do, to make is 100%????

I just gotta get it 100%, it drives me absolubtely nuts!

EDIT: Ive had it rebuilt.... I do not think they replaced the solenoid, because I still get the flair, but they are going to replace it wether they like it or not, I have quite a bit of leverage with a company I dictate where the vehicles are repaired... im sure he's catching on that we have not been back with ANY of them since my tranny issues...

SO -- Once they get it there, what do I need to do!? How do I get it prigrammed right? etc... Help me Todd-b-1-kenobi!

Last edited by a moderator:
ck

You should probably get rid of your ST. There is nothing anybody can say to convince you that the trans used on the ST, and countless other Ford vehicles, is as least as reliable as any other modern automatic. When you have suffered the expensive loss you just can't see that fact. Replacing the trans with a different make or model would cost way more than a quality rebuild that would improve the reliability even more. Ther is no way to make any auto trans 100% reliable, can't be done.

Oh, and when you sell the ST, make sure you let all the prospective buyers know that the trans is a "POS"

Zeke

The first tranny went, Poor maintenance, or bad design...

The rebuilt one is giving you problems now, I blame the re builder.

Let them replace the solenoids and tell them to up the EPC pressure a little. Than Buy the XCAL2 instead of having seats done and other stuff if your that worried.

And if you are that worried why would you put the money into a truck you cant stand???

I agree with Zeke, Sorry but if your going to be a worry wart, sell the st..

Todd Z

I seem to remember that the 5R55 was made from an earlier 3 or 4 speed trans. Maybe the older ones are more dependable and if they have the same bolt pattern...

Or give Advanced Adapter a call and put in a good old C6.

Power Demon, www.powerdemon.com/Ford_Transmissions/5R55E.html , builds performance 5R55E transmissions. The Power Gold heavy duty remanufactured 5R55E transmission with heavy duty Max converter and Haydon 1404 cooler has a two yr, 50,000 mi. warranty and runs $2265. It is made to withstand heavy duty towing, etc., and with a heavy duty torque converter that replaces the stock Ford converter which is the weak link in the 5R55E trans. It goes and takes out the whole transmission. They also build the Power Gold Xtreme Duty 5R55E with the heavy duty Max converter and hayden 1405 cooler with a 3 yr. 75,000 mi. warranty. This transmission is overkill, as its made for desert racing and will take 4.0 motors built to 300 horse power. It goes for $2640. There is a core charge of $500., and shipping runs $200. round trip.

So, there is at least one company that builds the 5R55E to withstand anything you can throw at it. The cost would be well worth it if you were out of warranty, had a tranny failure, and wanted to keep your Trac. Or a person could just order the Max torque converter, and use a chip or an X/cal to firm up shifts, and you should have a pretty good trans. Just my 2 cents worth......Gary :)