differential cover with drain plug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Kaye

1st gen V6 4x2
Supporting Member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
I find to my astonishment, changing the diff oil requires removing and replacing the cover. There are aftermarket covers with drain plugs for $300-plus, which is a bit rich.
Has anyone tried installing one of the basic drain plugs in a standard differential cover ?

There are aftermarket transmission pans with drain plugs, which I plan to install, but nothing similar for differential covers except for the high-dollar ones..

T/A makes covers for Ford Racing, Moser, Roush, etc.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2510209.m570.l1313&_nkw=TA-1806&_sacat=0
Bought and installed this Moser 7106 with drain and fill plugs for $150 in 2011. Same as the TA-1806. I tend to avoid cloned copies made overseas. Fill plugs on aftermarket covers are usually higher than stock. To prevent over filling use the factory level on the axle.

gnUEbs1.jpg

81YF91k+a0L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
thanks, that price is a bit less frightening..
so I can have a Mustang upgrade on my weary old truck, wotthehell, it's as close as I'm getting to driving a Mustang ;-)

For me the Moser 8.8 cover was more for aesthetics than anything. Drain plug is nice, but it is very small and probably a good idea to warm the gear lube prior to draining. These covers are bare aluminum and can be painted or powder coated.

i have been looking for years for one not crazy price,, hate pumping old fluid out and not getting any segments in bottom if any,, a magnetic plug i can find but diff cover with drain well another story, but thanks for post..

Try a LubeLocker gasket if you are wanting to change the juice more often and don't want to drop the cash for a fancy cover. Uses no rtv and is reusable.
Your stock plug should be magnetic. I ripped apart an old hard drive and scavenged the magnets out of it. Paint one of the magnets with a good enamel and stick it to the outside of the cover.

Last edited:
i was replacing gaskets and was little messy, everytime i do it i say its time for a new cover, then forget about it, then next year, i change all fluids every year, coolant, diffs, and trans, i know its alot but i have had 0 issues in all my vehicles. pricey, but so messy on trac with front skid plate. i like the magnet on diffs, never thought of that,, thanks.

T/A makes covers for Ford Racing, Moser, Rousch, etc.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2510209.m570.l1313&_nkw=TA-1806&_sacat=0
Bought and installed this Moser 7106 with drain and fill plugs for $150 in 2011. Same as the TA-1806. I tend to avoid cloned copies made overseas. Fill plugs on aftermarket covers are usually higher than stock. To prevent over filling use the factory level on the axle.

View attachment 2226
Nice, clean rust-free undercarriage! Raised in the South Trac?

Thanks @NorgeMan.

Truck has been in Hawaii all it's life. Above pic was taken about 10 years ago. Not quite as clean today, but I still rinse the under side twice a year and treat with Fluid Film in rust prone areas.

Having the ocean surrounding you hasn't been hard on its finish. My truck has been in the deep South all its life so it's clean like yours.

When I changed out the differential gear lube on my '08 STA, the rear differential had a drain plug. I found the front differential cover had no drain. So I drilled a hole at the bottom of the cover, bolted a flanged nut to it and welded it to the cover. I used a short bolt with a copper washer/gasket. Hasn't leaked yet. The cover was already off, so it didn't take much time and just a few buck down at ACE Hardware for the bolt, washer and nut.

drilled a hole at the bottom of the cover, bolted a flanged nut to it and welded it to the cover.

thanks - I don't have welding tools, was thinking of something like the Dorman oil drain plug.
Guess a new diff cover is cheap anyway, maybe will buy a new one, drill it and fit the plug. That way I have the original cover in case my drilling goes bad.. ha.

thanks - I don't have welding tools, was thinking of something like the Dorman oil drain plug.
Guess a new diff cover is cheap anyway, maybe will buy a new one, drill it and fit the plug. That way I have the original cover in case my drilling goes bad.. ha.
Be very, VERY careful where you place the drain plug. Measure multiple times and confirm before you commit.

Buy a bung and plug, Bring to a shop, let them drill the cover and weld on the plug bung.... Done.... use oem cover... save a ton.

yes, upon poking around I think there isn't enough room inside the cover, for the cheap oil drain plugs to fit. Any homebrew solution will involve welding.

I just gave up, cheated and used a mityvac to suck out the old oil ;-)
Listed capacity is 5.5 to 5.8 pints, I got just over 6 pints out and put the same back.

Latest posts