Dish Network HD...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis Farris

Reaction score
I am currently trying to decide if I should switch from Direct TV, to Dish Network. I have had it with Direct TV and their lack of HD channels and their lack of knowledge of future HD channels.

I want to know if anyone has Dish Network HD and what their thoughts on it are. Also did you get the free HD reciever from Dish Network? If so can you change formats on it (1080i-720p)? I guess I am asking since its free should I be concerned with the quality of it?

Thanks for your help.

Directv isn't good, but DISHNetwork is even worse. WAY worse! HD channels would regularly go in and out and when I called they just say "that's normal".

I was getting ready to bring this up. I shut off my Cox Cable service when my daughter left for the summer. I don't watch enough TV to justify the cost when she isn't here.

Anyway, I am trying to decide if I bring Cox back next month or sign up with a satellite service. Cox raised my rates $20 right before I cut the service, and they acted pretty arrogant when I called them about it.

The few satellite installers I spoke with seem pretty shady (like the cable TV guys were 10 years ago). How does the Dish Network and DirecTV compare service-wise with cable? I am thinking about getting the HDTV in my living room, since I already have a set.

I've had Dish Network since Aug, 1996 and service has always been very good...except.....when there is heavy rain between your antenna and the satellite, service is interrupted. I do not have the HD service since I do not have a HDTV and, there just aren't that many channels yet.

I have had Direct TV for a couple years now and have had zero complaints. As far as the LACK of HD channels, I think they have the same HD channels as Dish or any cable network out there. There are just not very many HD channels avail currently. I have been thinking about upgrading to HD but really the only thing I want it for is football. I don't subscribe to the premium movie channels and the HD programs on Discover are nice but how long can you watch a bear .... walk through the woods. When I was deciding between Dish and Direct it was the programming options and the ease of installation that swayed me. I take my dish and receiver to the Auburn football games and Direct is much easier to point the dish correctly.

Don't let the HD channels influence your decision because there are just not enough of them avail right now.

First of all Dish Network provides 25 HD channels... With Direct TV you get 6... As for football you can get that off of your regular antenna. So for you guys who say there are not many hd channels yet, Dish is offering 20 more channels than Direct TV does. That is not counting the local channels either... so for those of you waiting for more HD channels before you purchase HD stuff your missing out on cool stuff... MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, Nascar, Horseracing, Golf... all major sporting events are in HD now.

I just wanted to clear up why I wanted to change to Dish Network its for the better choice of HD channels.

How do regular channels get viewed on HD sets? Are the pictures stretched out horizontally and distorted, or are there just two blank areas along the sides of the picture?

Wife wants to purchase a 32" LCD set for the livingroom. I am trying to talk her into a 40".

Anyone know if Dell LCD HD-TVs are any good?

Gavin--Regarding your first question, it depends on how the set manufacturer decides to handle it. Some stretch everything, evenly. Some do black boxes on the sides. Some stretch, but not evenly--stuff in the middle of the screen doesn't get stretched at all, stuff closer to the sides stretch more. Some have multiple options, and let the customer choose through on-screen menus. And I know I saw one a while back that handles it by putting the main picture on the left side of the screen, unstretched, and uses the space on the right to put up to three PIP screens of other channels.

Latest posts