DIY Trans Flush

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gianquitti

Reaction score
I was reading some posts on transmission changes and flushes and you guys are absolutly correct; if you just change the fluid in the pan that is not a complete flush. I am one of those guys who likes to do everything myself:wacko:. Not because I am cheap but just like to do it. So I was thinking what if you disconnect one of the trans lines leading to the trans cooler (preferably the return and after you drop the pan, change filter, and replace lost fluid) attach a clear hose to the cooler going int a milk jug. Start the engine drain 1 qt , stop the engine file and drain another qt, stop and fill. The cycle repeats itself until you see new fluid running out. May be better with 2 people saves alot of running back and forth. Opinion's welcome, will it work:D or bad idea:blink: Just a thought!

bpoche,

Putting a drain plug in the pan only drains about 4-5 quarts of fluid, which is less than half the fluid in the transmission.

A tranmsission flush will change about 98% of the fluid, most of which is trapped in the cooler and torque converter. Since they don't put drains plugs on the torque converters anymore the flush is more efficient.

Yes, you can drain the 4-5 quarts out of the pan every 5K miles or so and top it off with fresh fluid, but over 1/2 the fluid will always be old fluid. In the end, that amount of time, effort and the cost of the fluid can be rolled up into a single $85-$130 charge every 20K-30K miles. That's about every two years for me. And even if you pay $120, that's only about $5 per month or 1K miles and there is no labor involved on my part.

If you are young, you may enjoy the experience, but as you get older you will find there are better things to do with you limited time. :)

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one think changing 4 Qts. of tranny fluid every 5K at my regular oil change is a pretty good idea. Then drop the pan every 30K and replace the filter.:)

Draining and refilling 50% of the tranny every 5K miles will leave and average oil age at 9.375K miles just before the change at 30K which will drop the average to 1/2 of that. The average age of the oil on the 30 K flush technique is 15K miles. Not a bad way of doing it.

Dave, Your method is not new, I have done this before. Although I have done it only as a method of a "complete drain" of the transmission. In other words, I only removed the line that send fluid to the cooler and attached a hose from it to the drain pan. I do this before pulling the pan off the tranny (there will still be fluid in the pan).

Just be sure to put the parking brake on and put the tranny in drive (this forces the fluid out of the torque convertor). Let the engine idle. Stop the engine immeadiately after flow stops and put it into park. Then proceed to pulling the pan and changing the filter. Refill.

I don't know about "sucking new fluid in". May work, but I haven't tried it.

Latest posts