Do I need a 4x4 to travel to Monument Valley

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are just visiting and sight seeing, you should have no problems at all.

If you plan on going off road, all bets are off.

Depends on the weather.

If dry is forcasted, you should be OK.

If it is wet, you may not want to leave the pavement in a 4x4. Let alone a 2x4.

The mud out there is like a mixture of clay and sand..gums up your tires pretty bad, and the more you spin, the deeper you sink....

Fortunately, it is typically a dry place. Probably only 4 or 5 big storms per year... but it is not a place to be caught in a storm (or anywhere else in the southern part of Utah).

I have almost had to walk out of the southern Utah desert twice due to weather. For me, both times we were able to finally get back to pavement.

I frequent the area to rock hound, I don't go specifically looking to do some extreme 4x4 off-roading. It seems like I typically end up doing a little bit.

Like the previous poster, it does depend on where you are going. If you are staying on pavement or even "improved' dirt and gravel roads, you should be fine. If you are going to hit any trails, I would think twice, and if anything looks suspicious, get out, walk around, and check it out before you try it. Southern Utah is not the place to get stuck. You could be over 100 miles from the nearest town, or even the nearest person who could help.

cheers,