Do It Yourself Window VIN Etching

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I found this on line today. $19.95 beats the heck out of most dealers' $299 window etching fees! I just might have to try this. Anybody have any experience with these DIY etching kits?

I use to do this when I worked at a Mazda dealer. It is a piece of paper with the number punched out on it. You stick the paper to the lower corner of all the windows, then you apply this "acid" let it sit for 5 secs then peel the paper off. Cleaning it after with windex or window cleaner. The number is then etched into the glass. You would never know it is there unless u look for it

Are'nt you supposed to try and hide your VIN now? I've heard about some kind of scam but can't remember how it went.

The scam, or what it used to be, is that a woudl be thief would grab your VIN, then go down to the dealer and get a key made to the VIN, normally under the radar, paper free if you've got a guy at the parts department and you slip him some money. This doesn't really work for Fords, as you have to have at least two coded keys to code extra keys. Supposedly that's how it went down. A local dealer, where my family got our last three Fords, etches a tracking number, although not the VIN, on all the windows.

It came free with my car insurance policy here in the Philippines.

The guy who did it etched my plate number (not the VIN) on the windshield, driver, front passenger, and rear windows. It took him just 10 minutes in my office parking lot.

Here in Alberta all new vehicles come etched, some kind of requirement (gov?) I have been told.

Latest posts