Do our Tracs have cabin air filters?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
Replacing the cabin air filter is mentioned in the maintenance schedule but I don't see any info on it in the owner's manual. I'm almost sure our Tracs don't have 'em but just making sure here.

I replaced one in my dad's Cadillac, took maybe 30 seconds. My mother-in-law's Contour, two hours plus. :angry: Problem was the wipers and wiper panel. A stupid Contour has a filter and not my $29,000 Sport Trac. Go figure.

My A/C smells stale. Kinda like it is suppost to smell when you need to replace the cabin filter. I was on autozone.com and ran across this. It looks like they list it, but it says unavailable. Maybe the Tracs to have them. If they do, I need one. My A/C smells like $hit when I start it up after sitting for a few days.

The smell is from mildew in the A/C system, it builds up from moisture. I know the dealers have a treatment for it, not sure if it's something you can get yourself.

Good way to keep the A/C system from smelling is to do this:

Each time you drive your vehicle, turn off the A/C and run fresh air(vent) for the last mile or so of your daily drive. This helps to dry out the ductwork and keep condensation from forming to mildew.

Also, if you follow the owner's manual and leave the A/C "open" when parked by not turning it off, leaving it on defrost, or the max a/c positions, the system can breathe and mildew shouldn't be a problem.

FYI, there are other options for fixing the smell that have been mentioned on this site as well--including many people saying to spray air freshener in the fresh air intakes between the hood and windshield. Haven't tried it myself. A search on here will likely find you lots more info on this and other treatments.

I do a combination of Darin and Tiger's suggestions. It also means the cabin is cooler on hot days. I live in CA so we don't have much humidity. My wife used to complain that I was leaving my kayak gear in the truck too long - no complaints since.

I've seen the air freshener idea, but it seems you are just masking the odor instead of getting rid of mildew and bacteria.

Actually, now that you mention that, I'm now thinking it wasn't air freshener, but more like Lysol or Ozium--as a means of attacking the mold/mildew. Because you're right--just air freshener isn't going after the long-term problem. Regardless, I'd think it's worth a search--for "Odor" and/or "Lysol" and/or "Ozium".

Latest posts