Does anyone here have coverage under AFLAC?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose Medlin

Reaction score
Rue's employeer is offering insurance/Benifit Policies for him to choose from. My question is, does anyone here have AFLAC and is it worth having? If so, which policies? I have gone over all the pamphlets they gave him and the only thing that I can see being good for him would be the "Personal Accident & Personal Sickness Indemnity Plans". Any pros/cons on what he should get. He doesn't make very much as far as pay, so I don't want to over load him with stuff he doesn't need and leave him broke each pay period. Thanks for your input.

Thought he was self Employed?

My health Ins is killing us 700 a month, 10 K deductable, never a claim in 30 yrs:angry:

Bill, business was so slow, LaRue ended up having to close his shop. Rue has been employeed for about 7 months with the company he is with and just recently went on full time. He doesn't make very much, but hey it's a job.

AFLAC is a type of short term disability if you are sick or injured, it IS NOT health insurance. It is a complete waste of money...

Sorry to hear that Rose, if you have any kind of job and some health ins, these days, is always a good thing.

Am self employed myself, upside is with health insurance, it is 100% tax deductable.

But that is at the end of the tax year, you have a bad month, you have a problem, as we at times do. Health Ins is our biggest expense, is killing us.

I had it for me and the wife but canceled after a year, it didn't cover crap. It IS good as a supplemental if you have a high-deductible plan.

I just started with Blue Cross PPO (I'm self-employed), costs $169 a month for me and my daughter plus $165 a month for my wife. I'm the one that's had health problems but she costs more because she gets migraines, go figure.

Rose,

I have AFLAC short and long-term disability insurance. Some of the long-term coverage was covered by my company, the short term, and a beefier long-term policy I had to pay into each month through my payroll. I only recently added it. Our medical insurance is through Cigna. Also, we have a flexible-spending (cafe) plan through AFLAC as well. We exploit that and I recommend anyone with recurring medical bills do the same.

As for AFLAC as a company, so far, so good, but we really haven't had to "use" them for anything rainy day in nature. The disability coverage is around $20/pay period, and since we don't have a bunch of money squirreled away for a rainy day (our bad) we are using that insurance for just such an emergency.

We also have life insurance. It became clear that my family would be "just fine", financially, if I were to be killed in a car accident. But if I were to have some accident and not be able to work for 4 or 6 months, or longer, we would be hurting financially.

TJR

Thanks for all the feedback. Like I said the company he works for doesn't offer health insurance just the AFLAC benefit plans. They offer term life insurance, which I am not a big fan of. I would prefer whole life but they don't offer that either. So I guess he is just going to give a shot at the "Personal Accident & Personal Sickness Indemnity Plans". Their dental insurance is outrageous and some of the stuff it covers you have to wait 24 months before you can file a claim and then it's only a few dollars that it pays out. He could save the amount of the premium in those two years and pay for it (dental) out of pocket.

Aflac does not, and is not intended to, replace major medical coverage. Instead, it's meant to fill in the gaps where other insurance leaves off. They pay cash directly to their policyholders whenever a qualifying claim is made rather than paying a doctor, hospital, etc. That puts the money in your hands to do with what you choose, whether that's paying co-pays & deductibles from other insurance plans, keeping up with your mortgage/utilities/car payments, etc. or any other expenses that pop up.

After all the feed back and more serious consideration, we have decided to have Rue opt out of going this route and helping him find health insurance that is affordable for him.

Thanks all

I have Aflac and had to use it last year. Keep in mind that in no way is it intended to be used as any kind of medical insurance...period. It's sole purpose is pay you if you can't work for some reason or another(not being fired or laid off). The amount you receive is based off of how many units you buy. I have 2 different poilicies with Aflac and last year when I was out of work for almost 3 weeks due to a self inflicted injury (had a bad quad accident) I received just a little over $5,000 from them. I am blessed with VERY good health insurance and we don't have a deductible so my 5 days in the hospital along with an ambulance ride only cost me $100 total. Both policies together cost me less than $100 a month, in my opinion this is pretty reasonable and is a small price to pay to make sure that my income doesn't get interrupted short term should something happen to me.

I have Aflac and had to use it last year. Keep in mind that in no way is it intended to be used as any kind of medical insurance...period. It's sole purpose is pay you if you can't work for some reason or another(not being fired or laid off). The amount you receive is based off of how many units you buy. I have 2 different poilicies with Aflac and last year when I was out of work for almost 3 weeks due to a self inflicted injury (had a bad quad accident) I received just a little over $5,000 from them. I am blessed with VERY good health insurance and we don't have a deductible so my 5 days in the hospital along with an ambulance ride only cost me $100 total. Both policies together cost me less than $100 a month, in my opinion this is pretty reasonable and is a small price to pay to make sure that my income doesn't get interrupted short term should something happen to me.

Latest posts