Does Ford Offer a Synthetic Oil?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I would consider getting the dealer to change the oil if they carry synthetic. Is the oil any good compared to Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc???

If you plan to stay with the recommended oil change interval, 5,000 miles on my 04; then you will find no real, measureable benefit from a full synthetic oil vs. the Motorcraft blend. What type of oil, brand, etc. is more of an emotional issue. If you use the blend and change per the schedule, you will never have an oil related failure nor premature engine wear.

I run royal purple now, and haven't changed the oil in some time now. Probably been 7000 miles. I can bring the oil in to the dealer and they can change it, but it would save me a couple of trips. I usually go a while with syn anyways, but blend is good too.

Big Al, I have used both Mobil 1 synthetic and Motorcraft Premium blend oil and noticed no difference in mpg or condition of the oil when changed. (of course I didn't have it tested at a lab or anything) I just save the money and go with the Motorcraft since it's half the price of Mobil 1 synthetic and change it evry 5000 miles. (I get it at the local Walmart);)

The only advantage of synthetic oils is their ability to withstand greater heat, and breakdown slower than dino oils. Also, additive packages may be a little better in most synthetics sinve they offer longer change intervals. Any MPG improvements would be very small and hard to prove it was the oil or some other insignificant factor.

If you change your oil religiously every 3000-5000 miles, you will probably never see any difference. Even though I would normally change conventional oil every 3000 miles, and with Mobil-1 I go for 5000 miles, and if that slides to 6000, or even 7000 miles, I don't have to worry that something will fail.

As for Royal Purple, Amsoil, and many other's, they are also synthetics. I do know that Royal Purple ran a test by changing all the fluids to Royal Purple (Engine oil, Transmission oil, and gear oil) products and increased mileage by 2-3 MPG and picked up and additional 8 HP. All were due to friction and heat reduction using their lubricants.

...Rich

Another advantage of synthetic oil is its low temperature viscosity as well. It doesn't thicken as much as dino oil in sub-freezing weather and flows faster to the top of the engine after starting. With synthetic oil, I've never got that 1/2 second of clattering during a cold morning startup.

I've been running Royal Purple for just over a year now. Before I was regularly getting right at 16 mpg. Since RP, a little over 17. Have no way of knowing if it's really the RP or not. Nothing else though has changed on my ST except the shocks. (Maybe the oem shocks were bouncing so much the fuel was spilling out?) :)

I'll probably get a lab test done this time. I did 5w-20 Motorcraft vs. 0w-20 Mobil 1 in my wife's car and over 5000 miles the wear metals and viscosity were nearly identical. The Trac has Motorcraft from the dealer in it now, my first four oil changes were free. I have another free one to go but frankly waiting at the dealer isn't worth my time right now because I'm very very busy at work. I can do it way faster myself. Got some Pennzoil Platinum I'm going to try and compare lab results with the Motorcraft.

Used oil analysis costs $20 at Blackstone. They will send you collection bottles free, you send it back with some old oil and a check for $20. Anything else is just speculation.

Latest posts