Does gasoline go "bad"?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gypsy me....regarding "never let it get down passed the half mark"....I always drive my ST until the "low fuel" light comes on, though many here say that's a bad idea. I just don't have time to fill half-filled gas tanks, or wind have unwound watches, or teach half-stupid kids, etc.

TJR

:) I too let mine get past half now and then, but with the floaties, if you will at the bottom of the tank, it's really not good to let it get down to the fumes too often. You got snow yet TJR?

Yeah, I don't go to floaties, Gypsy...just a mile or two past low fuel indicator. I suspect that whole "floaties" thing is a myth anyway.

How much sediment can their be? The tank is a closed system, it's supposed to be non-corrosive, that just leaves the fuel and its source from the tank, and distribution, all of which are regulated and controlled...besides, you have a fuel filter for a reason, right? ;) And if there truly were all this sediment at the bottom, well than the first big bump you hit or time you drive fast over a rumble strip and the gas sloshes around and mixes up (or even a fast stop)...and that means you mix up the sediment. Like I said...it's a job for Mythbusters. Besides, it sounds too much like the "soda backwash" concern, which, when I was 12, was the kind of thing I feel for too!

I would love to see a 20 year old gas tank, cross sectioned so you can see this sediment at the buttom. Anyone got pictures?

As for snow...nope, none in Southeaster, PA....yet. It flurried a couple of weeks back, but didn't stick. Going to be a green Christmas....in the 50s through the extended forecast.

TJR

:lol:I don't know how much there could be, but my fiance' dumped my fuel filter out and I seen what get stored in those! Y U C K Y!

:lol: about the backwash :)

Well I hope it is not snowing when I land in Pitts and leave Pitts in January!

Latest posts