Dome Light Repair 2001 Explorer Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Robida

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I went to change my passenger side dome light bulb and found that the bulb, plastic bulb holder, flex circuit and plastic cage socket were all melted together. I want to remove these parts to replace, but I can't figure out how to get it apart.

I am trying to remove the black panel that surrounds the dome light lens. Has anyone done this without shattering alot of plastic parts? Where do I pry from? Hidden screws anywhere? Etc.

Also, the bulb seem too large to remove from the plastic cage socket from what I can see. Won't be able to tell for sure until I get this all apart.

Thanks for any input,

TRR

I believe the screws are under the plastic cover. You may have to cut the wires and splice in a new socket. Normally once the bulb is melted to the socket, it is trash...

Here are 2 projects I found, maybe they will help

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/domemap/ReplacingDome_Maps.htm

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/AddingLEDstoMapandDomeLights/AddingLEDstoMapandDomeLights.htm

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Plastic cover? If you mean the black one surrounding the dome light, that's the one I can't figure out how to remove. Which cover are you referring to?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not enough info in these instructions to remove entire dome light assy.

What are the part numbers for these items. I have the exact same problem in my 2001 ST. My driver side dome light has been out for over a year now.

Tommy

TRR, do you have a sunroof in your ST? Perhaps these pics will help.

Pull the edging away from the front of the sunroof opening. Pull down the console until the two clips at the front of the console release from their holes. There are four screws at each corner of the light assembly that hold it to the console.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I do have a sunroof. Excellent picture and info! I can't wait to try.