Door Dings !

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Galvin

Reaction score
Does anybody find it interesting that the GEN2 Sport Tracs do not come with side panel door guards? My 2001 ST did, but my brand new 2010 ST 4x4 Limited does not. It seems to me that before long some inconsiderate parker will open their door too wide, or too fast and diviot my my very black, very shinny doors. I asked my dealer about it - he advises that Ford does not make guards for the 2010. Humm ... interesting. Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks, JimG

IME there's no end to the ways people have found to damage your paint job, or the excuses they make for doing so, and why they shouldn't have to pay for the damage.

IME plastic body parts damage as easily as metal ones, and can be harder (thus more expensive) to repair. In addition, if you have a rare vehicle...say a Sport Trac, your chances of finding replacement junkyard or NOS plastic parts diminish rapidly as your vehicle gets older. (That's why my 1997 T-Bird is totalled, BTW. No frame damage, only minor sheet metal damage, but a half-dozen plastic parts that are as rare as hen's teeth.) So a "guard" isn't much of a guard if it's a bigger headache than without.

I've seen small dents repaired by specially trained technicians, using special tools. As long as the paint isn't damaged, they can make minor dings vanish through manipulation alone. I keep a black magic marker in my black Mustang to touch up the scratches and other paint-busting damage. It's surprisingly effective, and a whole lot more practical than a trip to the paint booth every day, which is as often as new damage shows up if I leave it parked within reach of others.

I'll never buy a black car again; that's the best solution.

On my 07 Sport Trac Limited, I ordered the bodyside moldings that came on the 06 and 07 Explorer's and had them painted and clear coated by the dealer and matched to the color of my Trac. The back door of the the Sport Trac is longer than the Explorer, so there is a gap on the last quarter on the door, but since it matches the paint, is not discernable unless you pay close attention. I actually like the added dimension in its appearance on the door, but understand how others would not make that choice. I wanted a factory look, so I went through that process and feel better about the added protection. On the 06 and 07 Explorer's also had a chrome badge on the front doors, ordered the part and added that as well. I have pictures I hope to put in my library soon. The cost for doing this at the time of the sale was under $300 with parts,paint and clearcoat and installation. Early Gen 2 pictures on car web sites like MSN and others featured the Tracs with the bodyside moldings on Limited models with matching color keyed paint, but when put in production, Ford did not put them on the Trac, and a couple of years later took them off the Explorer as well. I purchased a Mercury Milan last year,2010 model, and did the same thing again, as the new Fusions and Milans had them removed too. I had the dealer paint,clearcoat and install 09 Milan moldings on the Mercury with factory molded mud flaps. Once again, I preferred the protection, and like its appearance. On most new Fords, it seems they are going for a "clean" look. Subaru has dealer installed moldings for its Forester, supplied and already painted from the factory as a dealer accessory, an idea Ford should consider for people like me. This may be an option for you to consider.

Ditto on the black cars. Your just gonna have to park in "no mans land" and hike into the building. I've gone to the outer parking areas at malls and such, parked diagonally across two spaces and still some idiot with a crap car will park right next to me. I have the option of using my handicapped tag (wider spaces) if no other space is available. BC

I've gone to the outer parking areas at malls and such, parked diagonally across two spaces and still some idiot with a crap car will park right next to me.

Same here!!!

It's eerie, but I can leave my car out of sight for five minutes at the farthest and emptiest end of a parking lot, and the next time I see it, it will be surrounded by cars! Literally!!! My friends and family thought I was exaggerating at first, but now that they've all seen it happen, and so often, they can't doubt it any more. It's like black paint has super magnetic properties or something.

A friend who's a cop told me I should steal some traffic cones, and place them around my car when I park. I know...ironic.

black is not a color, black is a part time job.

love my painless dent guy, good ones can work miracles:)[Broken External Image]:

Bob C said:
I've gone to the outer parking areas at malls and such, parked diagonally across two spaces and still some idiot with a crap car will park right next to me

That's because there are people out there that see a car parked diagonally across two spots, even if in a remote part of a large lot, and think to themselves:

"What a prick, taking up two spaces like that as if he is better than everyone else! I'll show him! I'll park my POS right next to his!"

In my opinion, taking up two spots like that is just asking for trouble.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Door dings is my trade. Well actually hail damage is what I do most, but I fix my cars once or twice a year. I try to buy a car with a paint color that can be touched up without looking bad. People are morons. Glad I know how to fix 'em.

I have a different take on why they stopped putting on the molding. A friend of mine liked our Sportrac so much they bought one just like. The moldings fell off soon after the purchase. The dealer fixed it once, then refused to repair it after it fell off again. I would guess this was not a isolated incidence. Ford more than likely found it cost effective to not have to repair these items.

We have not had a problem with our's

And every car that I've had with mouldings always gets dinged above or below it anyway. Too many different shaped cars/trucks/shopping carts out there to cover them all...

And every car that I've had with mouldings always gets dinged above or below it anyway

It all depends on what door hits you. Most rear doors have high trailing-edge sheet metal, which means it hits high. Most compact card have equal or high trailing-edge sheet metal, which often gets under the molding.

In fairness, though, the molding saved me from a cart while at Lowes. I didn't see it coming towards me until it was too late (and the fool who lost control chasing after it--he merely pushed it back to the sidewalk in front of the store, where it turned and rolled back at me). The molding took the hit and easily buffed out, as opposed to what could have been.

... And I, too, will never own a black vehicle again.

What a bunch of weenies

So you spend 3 days claybarring, prepping the black car with Polish cleaner, laying on 3 coats of the finest carnauba money can buy.

back that puppy out in the sun, sit back and revel in the wonderfullness of the black beauty.

Finest 30 minutes on earth, than you just do it all over again:)

Black vehicles are beautiful. I had a black '86 F150 4x4 back in '86-'91. My driveway was gravel, almost 1/4 mile long, so keeping it clean was a REAL challenge! But it sure was a beauty when it WAS clean! I actually had a water box with a hose out at the road. I'd stop rinse it off and hit the interstate for the blow dry!:banana:

Bill Barber > awesome Stang! ..yea, we have a great paintless dent removal guy that comes to the Ford dealership I sale for. =)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

In defense of door dings on a black sport trac!

I have 35k on mine. Installed body side molding day one. they do not fall off if you install them properly. If they fell off, they weren't installed properly.

I have some pics. I have no dents or dings.

Thats my story :)[Broken External Image]:

Well, after reading all the posts - I agree with some, and scratch my head with others. Although Black was not my first choice, I didn't have a lot of options. After all (as I was told) the ST hasn't been built for 4 months now. There's not a lot left. I was at the point where I wanted another Sport Trac and after 2010, that's it - so, it's take what you can get. However, the black color has grown on me. In fact, we really think it's great looking. Very distinguished, very prominent, lot's of class. Regarding the side moulding - we went to the dealership and they came up with a great idea - they ordered side mouldings for a early model F250 and put them on. Talk about look factory - I'll get some pics as soon as I can. In my opinion it makes the vehicle look more defined. Again, we love it.