Downloading & Installing Revised SCT Xcal III Tunes.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So Torrie has finally informed us that he has an edited TCM for all of our Gen2 6 speeds.

For those that don't know (including myself) how do we get the revised tune on our SCT Xcal3?

Is there a program we need to download?

Do we need to buy any special cables to plug up to the PC?

Also, I really like Pizza.

Edit: Belay my last. I had the Live Link software mixed up with the process that kevin describes below. What he posted is the correct method for uploading new tunes on the X3.

Live Link is used for datalogging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you get the files from Torrie, visit www.sctflash.com/ . . . Tech Support tab.

From there, select "Device Updates & Downloads"

(see link below)

Then:

1) X3 Ford - P/N: 3000 (Double check that this is the correct one for your device)

2) Device Update Software (FYI, you may also want to first consider selecting "Device Firmware" to update the X3 firmware)

3) Search

Select "Click Here to Download" and run the program to install X3LWUpdater.exe

(Also, note the "Instructions" links at the bottom for step-by-step instructions. One is for "Updating Firmware", the other is for "Loading Custom Tunes.")

To load the tunes to the X3, basically, plug the device in via the USB cable that should have come with the X3 (I believe the cable is called a "USB 2.0 A to B cable", most often used with printers).

Select "Load Custom Tune File (*.CEF or *.LL3)"

From there, one-by-one, browse to the location that you saved Torrie's files, then select the first, second or third place holder, name the tune whatever you want and select (I believe it is called) "Program" (note, you do not have close and reopen this window each time).

BTW, I recently updated my X3 with Torrie's new files as well as updated the X3 firmware.

If you update the firmware, be sure and return the vehicle to stock first. Also, VERY important, in order to set the X3 to "Firmware Mode", hold down the "Cancel" button on the device while plugging in the USB and hold for 3 seconds (The X3 screen should be illuminated but blank if done correctly).

*** VERY IMPORTANT*** DO NOT UNPLUG the X3 during firmware update until it is completed.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions or issues, but once again, I'd refer to the instructions on the site, so you don't screw something up and have to spend $800 @ Ford to get the truck reprogrammed. Also, I've used SCT's Live Chat support in the past and they were very helpful.

BTW, when I was done and transferred the tunes to my truck, it took an unusual amount of time and it drained my battery. I had to jump start the truck . . . good thing the tunes finished uploading, I could have been in a real heap of trouble. . . an $800 heap!

Just saw Train Trac's post... I've only used "LiveLink" to get readings from the truck for Torrie, never used it for uploading tunes. I'm not saying that it can't be done with LiveLink, but I've never used that method for loading tunes. Strange though that a virus was detected. It is a well-used program and I've never heard of anyone else with that issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Al-Qaeda terrorists probably. They hate everything else so why not pizza?

Only if it's a pizza with pork sausage or pepperoni on it! Oh, I'm guessing that they probably don't like ham and pineapple pizzas either!:lol: