Pre/Post timing chain issues of early Gen1

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all, quick question about timing chain tensioners. I've had my '02 ST since 179k miles. It now has 316k miles. I've been diligent on changing oil and such, but not once have I swapped out the timing chain tensioners - nor do I have any idea if it was ever done prior to me buying it back in 2014. I've been reading about this issue with the tensioners SO MUCH on this forum, and I'm starting to get a little neurotic about mine.

I don't have any unusual amount of rattle at start up (its worse when its cold naturally - no rattle if the engine has been recently driven), but I'd rather change them on my terms before it comes unglued and more damage is done. I've read that you have to pull the engine if you want to change the actual timing chains as well...and that is not anything I want to get into. But if changing the timing chain tensioners is something the average shade-tree mechanic can do from the top side of the engine - and if its something that will buy me some more time - I guess it could be a weekend of wrench spinnin' and beer drinkin' while listening to '80's music in my garage. The body and frame are getting sketchy, but I need this vehicle to get me through one more year.....

Given the age of the vehicle, any sense if I'm going to run into snapped off bolts and such if I attempt to change my tensioners? Also, anyone have a link to a parts site that would include the parts needed for such a feat?

Any videos about swapping these is appreciated also.

Thanks all, be cool, be safe, and keep it classy!

-Randy (neurotic in Cleveland, Ohio)
Same here, 225k miles on 1st gen. no rattle but at 67yo, I want to drive it until I pass it on to gkids, so engine overhaul/replacement is inevitable reality.

To all, quick question about timing chain tensioners. I've had my '02 ST since 179k miles. It now has 316k miles. I've been diligent on changing oil and such, but not once have I swapped out the timing chain tensioners - nor do I have any idea if it was ever done prior to me buying it back in 2014. I've been reading about this issue with the tensioners SO MUCH on this forum, and I'm starting to get a little neurotic about mine.

I don't have any unusual amount of rattle at start up (its worse when its cold naturally - no rattle if the engine has been recently driven), but I'd rather change them on my terms before it comes unglued and more damage is done. I've read that you have to pull the engine if you want to change the actual timing chains as well...and that is not anything I want to get into. But if changing the timing chain tensioners is something the average shade-tree mechanic can do from the top side of the engine - and if its something that will buy me some more time - I guess it could be a weekend of wrench spinnin' and beer drinkin' while listening to '80's music in my garage. The body and frame are getting sketchy, but I need this vehicle to get me through one more year.....

Given the age of the vehicle, any sense if I'm going to run into snapped off bolts and such if I attempt to change my tensioners? Also, anyone have a link to a parts site that would include the parts needed for such a feat?

Any videos about swapping these is appreciated also.

Thanks all, be cool, be safe, and keep it classy!

-Randy (neurotic in Cleveland, Ohio)
of course Music from the 80's

Latest posts